DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-02-2020, 10:30 AM   #11
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I don't believe that G's sharing would be/is limited to Alphabet-owned subs/companies when it would benefit G's bottom line...
You could be right. But their business model is such that they really do need to limit who they share data with. In other words, I'm relying on their goodness but on their own self interest.

Google has also been pretty careful about outright lying, whereas Avast did actually lie (that's a major reason why their extension was originally pulled from the Mozilla app store.)
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 10:34 AM   #12
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I tried AVG many eons ago but moved on to another antivirus--Avira I think and then Avast free...
It's the same company at the moment.

Quote:
I rarely use google to search. 99.999% of the time I use duckduckgo.com which is not supposed to track but...who knows. If I can't find what I'm looking for in the search results returned from DDG, then I try google but most of the time DDG returns useful results.
DuckDuckGo is the only search engine I can think of the offers a decent alternative to Google. Most of the time the search results are good enough, the site is decent and it offers something that none of the others do. None of the other engines do that.
Old 02-02-2020, 10:36 AM   #13
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Greed View Post
Terrie
I don't have a problem with advertising. It is what keeps the web effectively free. Without it we would probably end up with a subscription model or have many Jimmy Wales pressing us for donations every time we logged on to a site.
That's why I use AdBlock plus and it's "approved ads". There was a lot of indignation when they started that, but I totally get it. And it works fine - it keeps the annoying (and NSFW) stuff out of my face, while letting respectful sites and advertisers get some revenue.
Old 02-02-2020, 03:25 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
barrie: I am quite happy to see ads.
Different strokes for different folks...more power to you...'-}}]

Actually, one significant reason I block ads is that you don't know who's serving them up and if there is any malware coming along with them. In addition to using a an adblocker, I also use one of 2 addons--Request Policy or iMatrix--which allow me to see and control site/page crosslinks (some pages have as many as 60!) which also block ads--and, fingers crossed tracking and info gathering...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 03:27 PM   #15
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kayza: but on their own self interest.
There is a fair amount of validity in that...

>>DuckDuckGo is the only search engine I can think of the offers a decent alternative to Google. Most of the time the search results are good enough

Yes...that's what I've also found and why I continue to use it...'-}}

Terrie
Old 02-03-2020, 08:47 AM   #16
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I also like DDG's Privacy Essentials plug-in. It rates the current site based on how many/which trackers are in use, privacy policy, etc. It can be a little harsh: this site, for example, gets a C+ because it's http not https and because its privacy policy isn't on file somewhere or other. But there are no trackers.

It also will give you a list of the top ten baddies you've visited recently in terms of trackers. Google slamdunks all of the others.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:10 PM   #17
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: It rates the current site based on how many/which trackers are in use, privacy policy, etc.
Ohhhhh...interesting! I didn't know (or perhaps ignored) about this...will definitely take a look...

Annnddd....I figured there might be a catch...ddg's privacy essentials won't work in older versions of FF or in current versions of PaleMoon...oh well...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 02-04-2020 at 01:22 PM. Reason: fix a typo...
Old 02-04-2020, 04:51 AM   #18
Barrie Greed

Steve

Quote:
This.

And at the same time, it can be entertaining to see some of the utterly off-the-wall* stuff they throw at me.

* off-the-planet in some cases

Should "This" have been a link?

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2020, 08:45 AM   #19
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Greed View Post
Steve

Should "This" have been a link?

Barrie Greed
Barrie,

No, "this" was meant to be "What Barrie Just Said".

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote