DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-16-2021, 11:07 AM   #1
woody649

Default Book design

My current interest in DTP is derived from and related to self-publishing books. I'm not interested in doing greeting cards, diner menus, advertising brochures, or any of that sort of output -- although I have done some brochures in the distant past. It's easy in today's world of print-on-demand to get a book in print -- what's not so easy is to do it well.

I have a friend -- actually an e-friend, since we have never met in person even though he lives in the same state -- who has a number of sci-fi books to his credit. I remembered that he once told me that he just used Times New Roman as the font and uploaded his manuscript to Amazon KDP. Done.

A couple of days ago I went onto the Amazon web site, called up his books, and used the "Look inside" feature to check them out. EEK! Horrible, horrible, horrible. They look like they were produced by an amateur -- and that's a shame, because he happens to be a good writer. I have read two of the books, and I enjoyed them immensely.

Which leads me to the point of all this: some time ago, when I was in the process of getting my first book ready to be uploaded to Amazon KDP, I found a web site that offers a number of helpful articles about book design. They cover a number of different aspects, such as page layout, font selection, etc. Rather than post multiple links in different areas of this site, I'll post one link here. If you find it at all interesting and/or useful, at the end is a list of links to the other articles in the series.

http://theworldsgreatestbook.com/choosing-book-font/
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote