DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 01-22-2009, 06:53 PM   #1
jhaggarty

Default Edit pdf 4-clr blacks

Whats the best way to edit 4-color blacks in pdfs. I can use InDesign, Acrobat, Photoshop, or purchase a utility. But I need to control 4-color black text coming to us in PDFs.

James Haggarty
jhaggarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 04:24 AM   #2
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Assuming that the text really is text rather than a flattened image, you'll probably have to purchase something like PitStop Pro, which will let you convert the text from rich black (often because it's really RGB) to K100 and set it to overprint as well - all within Acrobat Pro.

You can change the colour and trapping in Illustrator, but you'll need the document's fonts unless the text has been converted to outlines. Photoshop will rasterise the text, and again you'll need the fonts. InDesign won't help fix the problem.

Old 01-24-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
jhaggarty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall View Post
Assuming that the text really is text rather than a flattened image, you'll probably have to purchase something like PitStop Pro, which will let you convert the text from rich black (often because it's really RGB) to K100 and set it to overprint as well - all within Acrobat Pro.
some of the originals I've looked at seem to be registration black. It looks like reg K and K are very close on the swatch, and people simply use the wrong one.

The other problem that I may be seeing is using old docs as templates. For instance, we build an ad on a color background and use K type. The type overprints. But on the next ad the background is deleted and the text is rewritten. It looks like the overpint is now holding and the text is multicolor K

Last edited by ktinkel; 01-24-2009 at 11:31 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:41 PM   #4
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

Can't you just print from the registration text by turning off all colours apart from the K? Obviously can't in the docs that have a background, of course: I think you'll need PitStop Pro unless you have the fonts (in which case you can probably fix the colours in Frustrator - sorry, Illustrator <g>.

Old 01-24-2009, 03:57 PM   #5
jhaggarty

Robin: the problem is not the K separation, it's the mess it causes in the c,m,y. With newspaper presses and newsprint, the registration with smaller type or thin serif type can be ugly. If the K is overprinted on colors, then it's usually OK, when you have 4-c type on no backgrounds, the registration becomes critical and expensive.