DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-01-2020, 08:51 AM   #11
Andrew B.
Staff

I just got this from the Eudora email group.

Quote:
For whatever reason, the Hermes vcrdist.exe (2015) DID install for me even though I already had 2017 installed.
Quote:
The reason is that they're two different things. The 2017 runtime isn't a replacement for the 2015 runtime. Programs that use the 2015 version generally need the 2015 version and programs that use the 2017 version usually need the 2017 version. The same is true for all the other versions as well. (Occasionally there will be a program that will attempt to use a version from a newer year than it was designed for, but that can cause problems.) If the installer for it complains about their being a newer version, it means a newer version of the 2015 runtime, not a version from a more recent year.
Anyone know how to check which version or versions I have installed?

Old 08-01-2020, 02:32 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Anyone know how to check which version or versions I have installed?
See if you can find the vcrdist.exe file you used, highlight, right-click, choose "Properties" and look at the "Details" tab and that should give you the info--vcrdist.exe is in the "HermSSL" subfolder of the unzipped "hermssl.zip" and is the "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable"...

In the PDF attached to my "Possible Solutions..." thread, I discuss directly downloading "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3" which (I believe) matches the "hermssl" vcrdist.exe--you want the x86 version ("vc_redist.x86.exe")...

There are a number of different Visual C++ Redistributables out there which is confusing and I spent a fair bit of time trying to figure out which one I needed. After doing a lot of comparisons between the "hermssl" vcrdist.exe and the versions I downloaded directly from Microsoft, it's the "Update 3" version that matched the "hermssl" vcrdist.exe that I worked with in May 2020...

Additionally, if I'm remembering the research I did on the Visual C++ Redistributable correctly, in theory newer versions include the older versions which means that installing a newer version shouldn't cause problems and anything that needed an older version should find it "within" the newer version but on the Dell laptop, I had a terrible time with this crap because a newer Visual C++ Redist was installed but Eudora still wasn't working properly.

In the end, I uninstalled any version of Visual C++ Redistributable newer than "Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable" that were installed on the Dell laptop, rebooted and after uninstalling Eudora (and rebooting), I then did a "clean" install of "Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3" downloaded directly from Microsoft (and rebooting) before (re)installing Eudora using "hermsetup.exe" (and rebooting) and Eudora was back in business.

I don't know if the above clarifies or mystifies...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 03:53 PM   #13
Andrew B.
Staff

I found it under "apps and features." A slew of different ones. Two off them are versions 2015-2019 with the same version number and different file sizes. So that's good enough for me.

Old 08-02-2020, 04:06 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: A slew of different ones.
Yeah...I've got 3 or 4 different Microsoft Visual C++ Redistribution versions on my desktop and 3 or so on the Dell laptop. The key one for Eudora is Microsoft Visual C++ 2015. I think if Eudora is working ok, then you are set and don't need to muck with it.

I meant to say thanks for posting interesting bits from the Eudora list...I've still not gotten around to sub'ing...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote