DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 03-19-2021, 04:45 PM   #1
woody649

Default MS Publisher Templates?

Given that Microsoft Publisher is rather basic, it's supposed to be a desktop publishing program. What I find striking is that not only does Publisher not include any templates for books -- when I search the Internet for Publisher book templates I can't find any, from any source.

Is Publisher SO bad that nobody has even bothered to generate some simple templates for books in common trim sizes? If they exist, where are they?
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:30 AM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Publisher's a step above Word for DTP but I suspect MS intended it for newsletters, flyers and such. Turning a novice loose on book publishing might be a fairly reliable recipe for Unhappy Novice, a dish best left unserved. ;-)

You might want to go to answers.microsoft.com, click on Microsoft 365 and Office, then choose Publisher in the Topics dropdown.

Several different groups of people answer questions there. The ones identified as MVPs are volunteers and the most knowledgeable/trustworthy.

Then there are the "hired help" from MS, identified as "Microsoft Agent"; some are pretty good, some are apparently unable to read questions, much less answer them. If you notice that any of them draw regular critical replies from the MVPs, you know which ones you can ignore.

Then there are subcontractors who work through an outfit called Directly. Again, a few of them are ok, the bulk of them seem to be competing to answer first rather than best.

And finally, there are random people who want to help. And the quality of their advice is random, though generally as good as the Directly folks.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 10:49 AM   #3
woody649

Over the years, I have found that the official Microsoft help web site never, ever provides any useful help. Never. As you mentioned, the worst are the actual MS employees, who appear to be constitutionally incapable of understanding a simple, clearly expressed question, or responding to a question with any information that might be remotely construed as pertinent (let alone helpful).

I agree, Publisher is oriented toward newsletters, flyers ... and greeting cards. And that's the problem. If it were a $19 or $29 program being sold in the software aisle of Walmart that would be perfectly fine. But it's not for sale at Walmart, and it doesn't cost $19 or $29 -- it's included in the "Professional" (not Home) versions of the Microsoft "Office" suite, and if you buy it as a stand-alone it sells for $135.

That, to me, suggests that it should be suitable for the kinds of things a "professional" might need or want to do ... such as producing a multi-page document (like, for example, a book). Microsoft should be embarrassed to include Publisher in their "Professional" office suite.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:37 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Over the years, I have found that the official Microsoft help web site never, ever provides any useful help. Never.

Having been one of the volunteers on one section of Answers since it started and on several other forums of theirs for years before that, I'd disagree with that as a general assessment. But certainly some of the sections are better than others.

>> as a stand-alone it sells for $135. That, to me, suggests that it should be suitable for the kinds of things a "professional" might need or want to do

Or that MS really REALLY wants you to buy the full Office package. But definitely odd that they don't include a program like Publisher, which really seems more useful to the home/hobbyist type, in the home/non-business versions of Office.

A lot of the things their marketing "experts" come up with strike me as odd, though.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote