DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-15-2020, 06:25 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Eudora and SMTP password

As you might recall, I recently got Eudora working with gmail. I remember having Eudora asking me for the password when I tried to pull from the POP server, so I entered it. And then when I tried to send via the smtp server, Eudora asked again. This made sense to me, considering they are different servers.

But now I just had to change the password on my compuserve email because that's what AOL So I told Eudora to forget the email password for that account. And then when I pulled from the POP server it prompted me for a password. But when I sent via the smtp server, it didn't ask for anything. I don't get it. And I need to make sure this is okay, otherwise my ability to send might go dead on Nov. 20.

Old 10-16-2020, 12:10 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: But when I sent via the smtp server, it didn't ask for anything. I don't get it.
That's a bit strange but maybe it already had the appcrappassword for sending?

You can change the appcrappassword if you want and then go through the process again in Eudora (Special > Forget Password > highlight the appropriate Personality name > OK) and try it again and see what happens. Maybe close and reopen Eudora after doing the "Forget Password"?

To redo the appcrappassword, login to the AOL webmail portal (webmail.aol.com) and then go to: https://login.aol.com/account/security

Scroll down to near the bottom of the page and you should see the app password option and it should show you that you've established the appcrappassword--it won't show the actual password--and it has a trashcan icon to allow you to delete the app password OR just create a new one and leave the original if you want...

>>otherwise my ability to send might go dead on Nov. 20.

First...I believe you meant Oct. 20???

Second, sending won't go dead...it's likely that it will just generate an error message of some sort. I'm considering NOT doing the appcrappassword for my compuserve account just to see what happens if I don't and as I said, I suspect an error message and then I'll go create an appcrappassword...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 10-16-2020 at 12:57 PM. Reason: fix a typo
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 01:03 PM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

I have followed your struggles with these issues and Eudora - I'm just wondering if you are spending more time on getting stuff to work than actually dealing with emails!?

FWIW, I too had an AOL account many years ago and let it go when they did send me a link to copy and paste in my browser in order to access my emails after something went wrong. Only to find out it was too long for the browser to handle. Following spending time to get some assistance with that issue to no avail I just moved on. Haven't looked back since.

Old 10-16-2020, 03:55 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

I just deleted the password. Then, instead of testing POP first I tested the SMTP server. It asked for the password and I sent the message. Then I tried the Pop and it didn't ask for a password. Did you change your password for compuserve with Eudora yet?

BTW, the Eudora mail group is not posting my questions. This is the second thing I tried to post about, and my email doesn't show up. I contacted the help email address too and got no response.

Old 10-17-2020, 11:58 AM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Then, instead of testing POP first I tested the SMTP server. It asked for the password and I sent the message. Then I tried the Pop and it didn't ask for a password.
So, you sent an email via Eudora which prompted for the password and presumably the send was successful?

Then you did a Check Mail. Was the Check Mail successful retrieving your mail? If it was, then it obviously has the password.

>>Did you change your password for compuserve with Eudora yet?

No...I've decided to wait until on/after 10/20...

That said, I have tested the process using my verizon.net account and my other compuserve.com account (I set it up years ago but have never used it) and found that I can use the same appcrappassword for a specifice account in both Thunderbird and Eudora--that's per single account as each account needs its own appcrappassword which can be used across multiple 3rd party email software for that specific account.

If you want, you can add additional appcrappasswords which would allow you to have a different password for each 3rd party software--one appcrappassword for TBird and one appcrappassword for Eudora...

Terrie
Old 10-17-2020, 12:50 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
So, you sent an email via Eudora which prompted for the password and presumably the send was successful? Then you did a Check Mail. Was the Check Mail successful retrieving your mail? If it was, then it obviously has the password.
Yes, I completed all the tests with success.

>>Did you change your password for compuserve with Eudora yet?

No...I've decided to wait until on/after 10/20...

Quote:
That said, I have tested the process using my verizon.net account and my other compuserve.com account (I set it up years ago but have never used it) and found that I can use the same appcrappassword for a specifice account in both Thunderbird and Eudora--that's per single account as each account needs its own appcrappassword which can be used across multiple 3rd party email software for that specific account.
So there it is. We tested and confirmed.

One observation I made along the way is the address I have for the compuserve SMTP server is a forwarder to an AOL-related Yahoo address.

Old 10-18-2020, 03:42 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Yes, I completed all the tests with success.
Then...I wouldn't worry about it...

That said, I did have a thought:

When you did the "Forget Password" in Eudora, did you close and then reopen Eudora and then did you do your testing? I'm pretty sure I didn't close/reopen but if things do go hinky after 10/20, you might try that approach...

Today, I created the appcrappassword for my primary cserve account but I have not changed my account password in either Eudora or Thunderbird. I was able to sucessfully send/retrieve mail in both Eudora and Thunderbird using my orginal account password (not the appcrappassword). I'll report back what happens on 8/20 - 8/21 when using my "original" account passwords. I suspect I will get an error message but...maybe not???

>>One observation I made along the way is the address I have for the compuserve SMTP server is a forwarder to an AOL-related Yahoo address.

Not surprising...are you using smtp.csi.com in Eudora? Where did you see the forwarding--I suspect in the headers?

Terrie

PS: Needless to say, the forum is back. Since you didn't have any problems, I wonder if it was a verizon issue?
Old 10-18-2020, 05:54 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Not surprising...are you using smtp.csi.com in Eudora? Where did you see the forwarding--I suspect in the headers?
Error message. Even though it is working, there was on time it did not. That's when I saw it.

Quote:
PS: Needless to say, the forum is back. Since you didn't have any problems, I wonder if it was a verizon issue?
Or it's because I checked after it came back.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:18 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Error message. Even though it is working, there was on time it did not. That's when I saw it.
Ahhh....

I had another idea. Do the "forget password" and when you next send/retrieve and area prompted for the password, do not checkmark the "remember" option. Then do a retrieve (if before you'd done a send) or a send (if before you did a retrieve) and see if it prompts you for the password?

After Ann's email, I gues I have to forgive verizon since it wasn't their fault...'-}}

Terrie
Old 10-19-2020, 01:08 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Ahhh....

I had another idea. Do the "forget password" and when you next send/retrieve and area prompted for the password, do not checkmark the "remember" option. Then do a retrieve (if before you'd done a send) or a send (if before you did a retrieve) and see if it prompts you for the password?
I think I did the equivalent of that. And in both scenarios it prompted me. The only difference is instead of leaving the "remember" box unchecked, I told Eudora to forget before doing it the other way.

I wish I could get through to the Eudora email group. Or maybe they are blocking me. I think the next thing I should try is replying to an existing post and see if it gets in.