DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
iamback

Default CMS for migrating/upgrading small site?

As I mentioned before, I'm migrating all my sites to a new VPS system (slowly, being distracted by a lot of needed work for Wikka Wiki ). One smallish site badly needs not only to converted to database-driven, but it needs to be extended as well (not easy with the current system of static HTML building blocks pulled together by PHP).

So, I'd like a simple to use but flexible CMS, PHP/MySQL-based. And definitely Open Source. Of course it has to generate standard valid XHTML (or be easily convertible to do that).

Components I'd need:
  1. articles, and other informational pages; commenting here would be nice
  2. data-base driven information tables (categories on their own pages as well as an all-in-one page)
  3. full-fledged blog/news section, with archiving, commenting, RSS feeds etc.
Current content has only types 1 (to be extended) and 2 (most of the building blocks now); 3 would be new. A form-based feedback should also be easy to integrate.

So... any suggestions for this? I really want some thing that's relatively quick to set up (I'll save the more complicated stuff of another site for Xaraya, but I feel it would be overkill for this site, and not fast enough to set up), and anyway trying out different CMSs for different sites would be good experience.

Suggestions anyone?

Last edited by iamback; 10-27-2007 at 12:25 AM.
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote