DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-05-2013, 02:41 PM   #1
Anne Wright

Default Small business website

A young friend has asked me to set up a website for him. He's been running my horse farm for me since he was 15. Now he's nearly 20, just graduated from farrier's school and will probably officially lease the farm from me.

He believes that every business should have a website and wants me to set up one for his farrier business. I'm not that sure it will help that kind of business but I'd like to do it for him.

Before I get into the rest of my questions about the site - what are some good reference books for HTML and CSS? When I set up my sites before, the most useful book for me was HTML 4 for Dummies mostly because it was simple and very easy to use as a reference book. I need something equivalent to update my years old knowledge of web design.

For this young man, I think using WordPress would be a good way to handle the site. I can create the CSS, graphics and basic layout, then let him put in content and upload photos. He's very savvy on his smart phone so I'm hoping to be able to set it up for him to email new content and photos.

For web hosting, I can add his domain name to my web space for $20 a year (I use only a very small amount of the space I have so there will be no bandwidth problem). That way I can keep up with updating WP and any plugins without any problem. I will have him register his domain in his own name so if he wants to pull it from my control or if I become unable to handle it for him, he can take the domain to another host.

In addition to having the ability to put in new content, I think a very useful tool would be a calendar. If he could add his farrier appointments to the calendar and check his schedule from his smartphone, that would really help him keep organized. I see several calendar plug-ins for WordPress and need to check out which might work for him.

Does this sound feasible for a website for a one person business? He will not be selling anything through the website, just using it for promoting himself and his work.

I can set up WordPress as part of my own site. I have a very little used BlogSpot site and can import that so I will have content to play around with. I can use my installation to test plug-ins and to see how it will look. The only problem is, I don't have a smart phone - and even if I did, I get no cell signal here at home. I might have to upgrade my phone and carry my laptop to another location to test and fix problems!

I've read through the messages here about WordPress and have learned a lot - most of which convinced me WP is probably a good way to go.

Any suggestions, cautions, ideas?
Anne Wright is offline   Reply With Quote