DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-16-2007, 07:43 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
I'm a cheapskate. I want a computer to last me four years or more, if possible. That means paying more for it initially, but it costs less overall than replacing the computer every other year.
Interesting. In a different thread, Ann commented that she usually gets three years from a computer. At first I was going to disagree, as I have gotten longer than that from a few, but in fact, in the 23 years since 1984, I have bought 8 desktop Macs. So it appears that I got less than 3 years on average.

But I never got rid of any of them, and there were always two or three in use at a time. The Mac II had steady use as a design workstation for close to 5 years (kept swapping out parts for faster and bigger ones), though at the end it was mainly a production machine.

My last G4 lasted 4 years; the older one 3. I endured the SE, on the other hand, for just about 2; it was a mistake. So was the Quadra 700, though I kept it going longer (the bookkeeper kept it in use). The 7500 was a good workhorse — I used it for 5 years, until I got the first G4.

But unlike you, there was no rhyme nor reason to what I bought or why. It was just pure dumb luck, good and bad.

I also had three laptops during that span: two Macs and 1 PC, a very elegant machine (bought about the time of Apple’s luggable Mac so-called laptop — maybe for Arnold Schwarzenegger’s lap!) But none of those were ever used for real work, mostly for road trips or presentation machines, so they don’t count.