DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2015, 08:13 AM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default A good deal at Staples

A while back, Hugh talked me out of color laser printers and into the HP OfficeJet Pro 8100, for which I'm still grateful. It's a great little workhorse of a printer.

Staples is offering $50 off HP printers if you have one of their coupons. I happened to have gotten one in the mail, then saw that the 8100 was already on sale for $99. Between that and the coupon, I came home last night with a $50 8100. Couldn't resist.

Just for giggles, I read some of the reviews of the printer on Amazon and Staples' site. Quite a few of the unhappy reviews complained of something I ran into when I first bought mine. The printer really Really REALLY does not want you to mix paper stock in the feed tray. For example, if you need to print a photo and put a sheet or two of photo paper atop the regular paper in the tray, you can pretty much count on awful color at best and repeated paper jams. It just won't work.

Take the ordinary paper out, drop in the one or two sheets of photo paper and you're rockin'.

Even the HP tech support guy couldn't explain exactly why this should be, but he stuck with the problem on the phone with me until we had it sorted. Haven't had any problems with the printer since.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote