DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 PM   #1
steve haigh
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Default multi-page import in pagemaker?

hi

I have written a book in MS word (windows). I’m trying to convert it to pagemaker for the printer. When I use the place command on the .doc file, pagemaker crashes.

So I saved as rtf and it imports without crashing but only the first page is displayed. There are over 200 pages in the book.

Is it possible to import multipage in pagemaker?

Thanks, a total newbee

steve
steve haigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 PM   #2
Jonathan
Staff
 
Jonathan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 72
Default

Welcome, Steve!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve haigh
Is it possible to import multipage in pagemaker?
Under the Layout menu, select Autoflow.

Now try placing the RTF file again.

   
__________________
Jonathan
Jonathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:39 AM   #3
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon
 
don Arnoldy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 496
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve haigh
When I use the place command on the .doc file, pagemaker crashes.
Also be aware that if the Word file contains embedded images or tables, these will not import properly. Convert all of your tables back to text and remove the images from the word file before importing.

The images need to be placed directly into Pagemaker, and the tables need to be formatted there too.

   
__________________
--don
don Arnoldy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 09:24 PM   #4
steve haigh
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Default

thanks for the info. i also posted the same question on graphic design forum and was told to hold the ctrl key while i click at the insert point and the flow looks fine now.

however there are many other problems like the graphics doesn't import correctly and pagemaker can't handle Thai language fonts which i use extensively.

i was told there is a better way to convert MS word to .pdf for printing but don't know what it is. any ideas?

thx steve
steve haigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 10:24 AM   #5
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

Steve:

I was told there is a better way to convert MS word to .pdf for printing but don't know what it is. any ideas?

The best way is with Acrobat, and it needn't be the latest version (v. 7): you can pick up Acrobat 6 quite cheaply. However, there are many much cheaper programs on the market, though I don't know enough about them to say what results they give for printing.

I'm surprised PageMaker can't handle Thai fonts: I should not have thought that there should be any difficulty, providing of course that you're using an Open Type font.

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #6
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,019
Default

>>steveh: however there are many other problems like the graphics doesn't import correctly and pagemaker can't handle Thai language fonts which i use extensively.

First...did you install the Distiller which comes with Pagemaker? If not, find the cd's and install it.

Then, if you don't have a postscript printer defined on your system--you don't actually have to have the physical printer--do the following:

1. Click on Start

2. Choose Settings > Printer

3. Add/install a postscript printer


Once that's done, then in Word, print to file using the newly added postscript printer and naming your file "[yourfilename].ps"

Then, start Distller and File > Open navigating to where your new .ps file is and this will create the pdf for you. You may want to tweak the pdf settings in Distiller Settings > Job Options...

Hope this helps...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
steve haigh
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie
>>steveh: however there are many other problems like the graphics doesn't import correctly and pagemaker can't handle Thai language fonts which i use extensively.

First...did you install the Distiller which comes with Pagemaker? If not, find the cd's and install it.

Then, if you don't have a postscript printer defined on your system--you don't actually have to have the physical printer--do the following:

1. Click on Start

2. Choose Settings > Printer

3. Add/install a postscript printer


Once that's done, then in Word, print to file using the newly added postscript printer and naming your file "[yourfilename].ps"

Then, start Distller and File > Open navigating to where your new .ps file is and this will create the pdf for you. You may want to tweak the pdf settings in Distiller Settings > Job Options...

Hope this helps...

Terrie
i've used distiller before and that part is not problem, but i don't think it will help with graphics import.

anyhow, i'm going to try acrobat.

thanks, steve
steve haigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 01:37 PM   #8
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,019
Default

>>steveh: i've used distiller before and that part is not problem, but i don't think it will help with graphics import.

The thing is, with making the .ps via printing to the postscript printer from Word, there shouldn't be any graphics to have to import as it now all postscript and Distiller will should just chug away and make your pdf. I do this a lot using WordPerfect and...oh, I can't resist...it's perfect...'-}}

>>anyhow, i'm going to try acrobat.

Let us know how it works out...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 05:28 PM   #9
steve haigh
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 4
Default

oh, i see what you are saying! well i tried to figure out how to install a postscript printer, but then in word i went to the printer chooser and noticed distiller was in there as a printer. so i printed to distiller and voalla (sp?), a perfect .pdf file.

no problems with fonts, layout, graphics, etc. everything looks exactly as it looks on my screen in word.

thanks for all the help people.

look out for my book in a few months, "Thai for Builders". I'm sure you can't wait to read it! it's about buying land and building a house in Thailand.

steve
steve haigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2005, 11:58 AM   #10
terrie
Staff
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 10,019
Default

>>steveh: but then in word i went to the printer chooser and noticed distiller was in there as a printer. so i printed to distiller and voalla (sp?), a perfect .pdf file.

Oh Excellent!!!

And...duh! Never thought to just print to the distiller...

I'm so glad you got it all sorted out...sounds like a fascinating book...

Terrie

PS...it's voila (with an accent over the "a" but who needs it...'-}}
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi-OS image editor called Pixel Andrew B. Images 1 06-24-2006 12:40 PM
Illustrator CS2 Multi-Page? Andrew B. Images 3 02-16-2006 05:03 AM
[PR] PageStream: Multi-platform DTP s/w ktinkel Print Design 0 05-01-2005 08:23 AM
ID CS refuses to import QX5&6 documents ElyseC Print Design 30 02-19-2005 02:46 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2019 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.