DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 08-10-2006, 02:56 PM   #1
rbb

Default Importing Arabic word docs into indesign

So, working with this newspaper which prints in arabic and in english. Having difficulties importing the text in to the text box. Message mentioning problems with the filter ? possibly an extension problem ?

Oh and the version of indesign is an arabic one

Please any help would be very appreciated !
rbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:42 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbb
So, working with this newspaper which prints in arabic and in english. Having difficulties importing the text in to the text box. Message mentioning problems with the filter ? possibly an extension problem ?

Oh and the version of indesign is an arabic one
Has this process ever worked for you? If so, what has changed since the last time it worked correctly?

If not, are you sure you have the correct filters, compatible to your software versions? You could probably check that by comparing what you have to what Adobe shows on its web site.

::

Old 08-11-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
rbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Has this process ever worked for you? If so, what has changed since the last time it worked correctly?

If not, are you sure you have the correct filters, compatible to your software versions? You could probably check that by comparing what you have to what Adobe shows on its web site.

First time doing this. Got in touch with some one and found a solution

It's allin converting the word docs !! Forgive the designers semi bad spelling as she's from the ME

"concerning the arabic words, it is sure that u cannot open the file without converting it with the program WINTOMAC first, you cannot read the arabic file from pc to mac like this. 1st you have to save the word file to text, than you have to open the WINTOMAC program click on input file, you select the file to open, than you click on the result file, you save it and you click on convert icon. it is important that the title of the file be short so when u convert it, you can see on the new file the estension OUT.
Later you cannot open the new file like this you have to run the indesign or quark program and you have to import the MAC ARABIC TEXT to a new document."
Old 08-11-2006, 11:18 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbb
It's all in converting the word docs !!
Ah. It was a platform problem, and I was worrying about languages. Just goes to show.

Glad it works. Now you are officially the forum expert on Arabic to English (and vice-versa) publishing. Aren’t you lucky?

Old 08-13-2006, 05:28 PM   #5
rbb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Ah. It was a platform problem, and I was worrying about languages. Just goes to show.

Glad it works. Now you are officially the forum expert on Arabic to English (and vice-versa) publishing. Aren’t you lucky?

I feel so honored .....I think

I really was stumped and happy to know it was the platform !!
Old 08-25-2006, 07:38 PM   #6
bmann

Just yesterday I placed text from a Word DOC (PC) into an InDesign CS2 (Mac) text box. Granted it was from Chinese, Korean and Spanish documents which are much different than Arabic. A few months ago I had a helluva time trying to import an Arabic Word DOC into InDesign. I don't think it ever worked for me since the text was right-to-left, it would always show up wrong when brought into a left-to-right environment. I ended up creating a PDF from Word and then saving the PDF as EPS. Arabic is a pain on a North American system!
bmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2006, 12:54 PM   #7
ElyseC
Sysop Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmann View Post
Just yesterday I placed text from a Word DOC (PC) into an InDesign CS2 (Mac) text box. Granted it was from Chinese, Korean and Spanish documents which are much different than Arabic. A few months ago I had a helluva time trying to import an Arabic Word DOC into InDesign. I don't think it ever worked for me since the text was right-to-left, it would always show up wrong when brought into a left-to-right environment. I ended up creating a PDF from Word and then saving the PDF as EPS. Arabic is a pain on a North American system!
A couple of years ago I had to get Arabic set for food packaging I was designing, and working with it was always a pain. That's why I ended up setting all languages centered and all Arabic text converted to outlines. We (my client and I) never heard anything negative from the market (primarily Africa, but some Middle East) about the Arabic being centered instead of flush right and the products sold well, so I guess we got away with it.

Old 08-28-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
rbb

Centering it,
good idea
and
creating
outlines as well