DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 10-17-2005, 08:14 AM   #1
Kalliope

Default Data Merge in ID

I am making postcards and would like to merge hundreds of addresses from a text file into my postcards. I created 4 fields (one for each postcard) in one document (8.5 x 11) that should accept addresses. The "Document per Record" option is grayed out in the data merge dialogue box. Only one address shows up for all fields. What am I doing wrong? Can anybody help?
Thank you!
Kalliope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 08:59 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalliope
I am making postcards and would like to merge hundreds of addresses from a text file into my postcards.

I created 4 fields (one for each postcard) in one document (8.5 x 11) that should accept addresses.
One per postcard? Or one per field?

Quote:
The "Document per Record" option is grayed out in the data merge dialogue box. Only one address shows up for all fields.
Not sure what dialogue box that is. What were you doing when you saw it?

Anyway, here are the steps that work for me:
  • Create a tab-delimiited data file. This can be exported from any sort of database or spreadsheet, or typed by hand in a text editor, inserting a tab after each field.
  • In the file, place the field names (i.e., Name, Address, City, State, Zip) in the first row, separated by tabs. Then each following row must have the real entries for one person in that same order, with a tab after each one, like this: (The —> represents a tab.)
Name —>Address —>City—>State—>Zip—>
  • Save this as a plain (unformatted) text file (.txt).
  • Open the Data Merge palette (under Automation in Windows menu) to select your text file as the data source. When you do that, the palette window should present the list of fields on the first line of your data source file.
  • Drag those into the layout one at a time, in the order you want them to appear (they will just fall one after the other without spaces or CRs).
  • Arrange them on separate lines, or with a comma-space, or a space — whatever you need to do to format them correctly. You can also apply a style or otherwise format the type.
  • Click preview at the bottom of the Data Merge palette window. You should see the first address, as you want it to appear. (Keep clicking, and see other names from the list.)
Does this clarify anything? If not, let us know and we will figure it out.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 10-17-2005, 10:21 AM   #3
Kalliope

Thank you for responding. I created 1 8.5 x 11 document with four postcards (created with text boxes) on it. On each postcard I have another text box were I want to data merge the addresses. I cannot get the address to change (they all show the same address) to each individual address. Should I be linking these address text boxes. Clearly, I am a novice and very much appreciate your help.
Old 10-17-2005, 10:51 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Thank you for responding. I created 1 8.5 x 11 document with four postcards (created with text boxes) on it. On each postcard I have another text box were I want to data merge the addresses. I cannot get the address to change (they all show the same address) to each individual address. Should I be linking these address text boxes. Clearly, I am a novice and very much appreciate your help.
Aha! I was confused. (Not for the first time! )

Okay, you will need to do something to your data merge file. Instead of having just Name, Address, City, State, Zip (or whatever you had), you will need to have Name1, Name2, Name3, Name4 (etc.). So each row will have four sets of addressees in it, all separated by tabs, with no CRs. (If you do this in Excel it would be less confusing, then export as tab-delimited text.)

Then open the palette, select your new data file, and click on the first set of fields (marked 1) to place them in the first postcard’s address textbox; then select the second textbox, and click on the next set of items there; and so on for the third and fourth.

Then you should find that everything works. I was able to get it to work here, anyway.

See how that goes.

Old 10-17-2005, 11:57 AM   #5
Kalliope

Thank you
Old 10-17-2005, 12:12 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Thank you
Assume that worked?

Hurrah.