DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #5
Bo Aakerstrom

If you are happy to work the way you do, that's fine, but I must admit I am a little befuddled (although it doesn't take much to cause that to happen at times).

Just a note: CSS is not a master file, in the case of an external CSS file it simply removes all the code relating to how a web page looks from the HTML code and places it in a separate document, which all pages that reference are styled by. As a by product it makes the HTML code much easier to read and edit and you can still code your boilerplate HTML.

Out of curiosity, if you are not using CSS, how are you styling your pages? As in telling your site to change colour on text for instance.

As regards WordPress: I'm not a big fan as such (that's why I made the suggestion I made), but it is widely used for all kinds of websites from simple personal to complex commercial ones.

If you are editing existing code perhaps all you need is a text editor, in which case Atom or Microsoft Visual Studio Code (not to be confused with Microsoft Visual Studio - an entirely different beast) could be a good fit.

I use Atom for most things webby, there are a plethora of plugins that makes life easier.