DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-17-2009, 06:06 AM   #1
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Default Kindle Price Drop

Quote:
It's now $299 at Amazon.com! Anyone getting one soon?
If you search this forum you will find plenty of discussions of the Kindle. Several members have either the first or second version.

Last edited by terrie; 07-20-2009 at 07:13 PM. Reason: fix quote
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:31 AM   #2
Michael Beloved

I am interest to know if anyone has submitted any pdf's of their books for kindle publishing. Has anyone done that and did it accept the pdf format as is?
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

On amazon there's a section for would-be kindle authors; it gives suggestions for authoring tools and such. That'd be the place to check.

I don't think they accept PDFs directly.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:10 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Beloved View Post
I am interest to know if anyone has submitted any pdf's of their books for kindle publishing. Has anyone done that and did it accept the pdf format as is?
I don’t think Amazon publishes anything — they convert in-print books for the Kindle.

You can send your own work to an e-mail address if you own a Kindle and they will return a file in their proprietary format, but it isn’t a method of publishing (it will probably work only on your registered Kindle).

I have heard that PDFs are problematic on the small Kindle, but that they work a bit better on the larger one.

Old 07-19-2009, 09:30 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Amazon allows you to publish your own stuff, it seems:

https://dtp.amazon.com/mn/signin

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-19-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Amazon allows you to publish your own stuff, it seems
It may, assuming you can get in there. At first it failed to recognize my user name or password. Then I clicked on Getting Started and some minute or two later, timed out.

I hope to look at it later.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:26 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

You may need to set up a separate account as an author.

Or something.

But then it's *always* something. So maybe this is something else.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #8
Michael Beloved

One thing I should mention is that Amazon is publishing under its subsidiary which is called CreateSpace.
Several of my books are published in that way. It is similar to Lulu but in most cases it is cheaper and less of a hassle than Lulu.

This is the Print On Demand publishing system.

The Kindle system is by Amazon too under their Amazon name, that is what I was inquiring about.

But they do publish under the name of CreateSpace at this URL

https://www.createspace.com
Old 07-19-2009, 12:58 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Thanks. It appears that an Amazon POD B&W book of 244 pages would cost the author/publisher $1.50 plus $4.88 (@ 2¢/page) = $6.38. A full-color book of 244 pages would cost $1.75 plus $29.28 (@ 12¢/page) = $31.03.

You can save on production costs by signing up for the Pro Plan, which costs $39 for the first year, with $5/year renewal charge. Then the B&W book would cost 85¢ plus $2.92 (@ .012¢/page) = $3.77. The color book would cost the same 85¢ plus $17.08 (@ 7¢/page) = $17.93.

The author has to pay the production costs for the mandatory proof copy and any other personal copies, plus shipping/handling (no royalties).

If Amazon also sells the book, it charges a 20% royalty on sales via its CreateSpace eStore or 40% via Amazon.com. So the publisher’s mark-up would have to cover those percentages to leave any earnings at all.

A color book that cost $18 to produce that was sold via Amazon.com would need to cost more than $25 just to break even.

What would such books cost via Lulu? And where would they be likely to sell better? Does Amazon penalize books produced via Lulu and other POD companies?

A conventional printer, such as Whitehall Printing, which I used for one client for many years, will charge much less per book, print on regular presses, offer more choices of cover and text stock, etc. The drawback is that you must buy a number of copies up front (I think at least 1,000), and they do not sell books. You would have to work that our yourself, or find a distributor to do it for you.

But if you are a serious publisher, it is always worth at least getting a quote on your minimum run to see how it compares.

Old 07-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #10
Michael Beloved

What would such books cost via Lulu? And where would they be likely to sell better? Does Amazon penalize books produced via Lulu and other POD companies?

My experience is that LULU takes a larger amount from the author. In fact I would only recommend LULU for print on demand in cases where Createspace does not have the required size. A few books of mine which are pocket size are at LULU because of size only.

When any book of mine sells on Amazon, I get next to nothing from LULU , and the same applies if the book is sold from Barnes and Noble. Every Vendor takes his cut and the author is left with whatever.
Since Amazon has emerged as the biggest book vendor on the Net, it makes sense to deal with them directly since if they acquire something from another publisher, their fees will be deducted from the author's share since the publisher will not allow his fees to be sliced by anybody.
At least that is what I experienced so far.

In New York City where I am at present, many used bookstores have closed their doors and gone on the Web but many of them just peddle their stuff on Amazon. It because Amazon is the big fish which has swallowed many of the little fishes, except that some of those minnows happen to be swimming around in the big fish's belly, and that is how they are surviving.