DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 05-30-2006, 03:29 AM   #1
CherylJohnson

Location: Northeast Los Angeles (NELA to the locals), California, USA
Default Video Format for Web

I have a video file - approx 3 minutes - that I need to make available on a web site.

The original AVI file is huge - about 50MB. I converted to MPEG, and got it down to about 17MB, but that's still pretty darn big.

Windows Movie Maker got the file down to 164KB, with still OK quality - but I'm guessing MSWMM is pretty much a non-standard format!

So, what would be the standard format to use for a video clip on the web? And I'm open to suggestions and recommendations for software tools and techniques to do compression/conversion!

Thanks, everyone.
CherylJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:21 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CherylJohnson
The original AVI file is huge - about 50MB. I converted to MPEG, and got it down to about 17MB, but that's still pretty darn big.

So, what would be the standard format to use for a video clip on the web? And I'm open to suggestions and recommendations for software tools and techniques to do compression/conversion!
QuickTime, RealMedia, Windows Media, and Flash are all pretty common, with free viewers for both Mac and Windows.

I usually run into Real Media and QuickTime videos.

Have no idea about the other programs, but QuickTime Pro for Windows (with editing and translation functions) is $30. It allows for the standard formats.

Old 05-30-2006, 06:12 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Low resolution mpeg works out at about 4Mb/minute so your 17Mb is not far off that. The use of wmf can reduce file size to aboout 600Kb/minute, but I'm not sure how many non-windows people can view that format. There is a "universal" video converter here.

The BBC use Quicktime to give the best (for them) tradeoff between portability, quality and file size.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 07:08 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
There is a "universal" video converter here.

The BBC use Quicktime to give the best (for them) tradeoff between portability, quality and file size.
That converter is not so "universal" that it supports Quicktime, however (either way) - which I prefer.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:21 PM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
That converter is not so "universal" that it supports Quicktime, however (either way) - which I prefer.
A friend of mine approached Apple about licensing whatever was needed to do quicktime conversions legally. Apple basically responded by threatening to sue him.

Nice folks.

Do you know of *any* programs that convert QT to other video formats? Other than Apple's own QT Pro, that is?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 05:25 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg
Do you know of *any* programs that convert QT to other video formats? Other than Apple's own QT Pro, that is?
Check out this search result in the Microsoft Movie Maker newsgroup using [QuickTime] as the search string.

One of the messages suggests this RadVideo tool

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:02 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>>One of the messages suggests this RadVideo tool

Seems to require that QT is installed also ... not surprising. I wonder if it's converting or re-grabbing the screen while QT does the playback?

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #8
gary

Quote:
Googling "quicktime conversion"
gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 08:02 PM   #9
iamback

Quote:
A friend of mine approached Apple about licensing whatever was needed to do quicktime conversions legally. Apple basically responded by threatening to sue him.

Nice folks.

No. I search for such a thing once and couldn't find it.

What Apple seems to forget is that the existence of a converter would actually promote the format... Obviously they think it doesn't need promotion.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote