DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 12-09-2019, 02:31 PM   #1
Barrie Greed

Default Windows Networking

Does anyone know more about windows networking than I do?(It isn’t difficult) I have 4 computers on a local private network. 2 Windows laptops. 1 Windows desktop. 1 Linux desktop. Until recently all 4 computers could see every computer on the network and were set up so each could share files in public folders. Since I replaced one laptop and the Windows desktop with new Windows 10 computers the new computers cannot see any other computers on the network except themselves.

I’m fairly sure that the new computers are set up the same as the old ones. Each is connected to the network as a private network, each has network discovery turned on, file and printer sharing turned on and public folder sharing turned on. All of the Windows PCs are members of a workgroup called WORKGROUP. All of the firewalls are set to allow file sharing on the trusted network.

I’m probably missing something simple. Anyone have any ideas?

Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

I have avoided (and will continue to avoid) Win10 but in my reading I believe that it handles networking differently than Win7 so you might do a browser search on "win10 networking" and/or take a look in the Control Panel (also changed in Win10) for what was (is?) the Network and Sharing Center to see what settings might need to be tweaked...

Do, please, if you have time, report back on how it's going...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 07:53 AM   #3
Barrie Greed

Terrie

Thanks for the response.

Win 10 is not that much different to Win 7. I have done lots of googling all of which tells me that if all computers are part of the same worrkgroup and are set up with network discovery on, file and printer sharing on and public folder sharing on then all should appear on the network.

I have noticed that the new desktop identifies the network as 'Network' instead of 'network' 2 which some of the others use (the original laptop uses a different name still based on the wifi network name!). I have no idea whether that is significant and even less idea of how to get it to identify the network differently.

If I ever solve it I'll keep you posted.

Barrie Greed
Old 12-11-2019, 02:21 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
barrie: If I ever solve it I'll keep you posted.
Please do...

I think that getting a network set up is like what getting a modem working used to entail--as Steve noted, flaling around and bitching and moaning...'-}}

Fingers crossed that you get it sorted...

Oh...had a thought...if you've not checked them out before, take a browse over at TenForums.com as they have a good rep...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 12-12-2019 at 02:48 PM. Reason: fix a typo///
Old 12-12-2019, 02:29 PM   #5
Barrie Greed

Terrie

Quote:
Oh...had a thought...if you've not checked them out before, take a browse over at TenForums.com as they have a good rep...
Thanks for link. I have joined and will post a question there if I make no more progress.

Barrie Greed
Old 12-12-2019, 02:46 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Fingers crossed that Tenforums can get your sorted--I've visited/used Sevenforums (of which Tenforums is an offshoot) and found useful stuff there...

Keep us posted...

Fie on Windows 10!!! I'm not moving from Win7...'-}}

Terrie
Old 12-16-2019, 01:57 PM   #7
Barrie Greed

Terrie

Quote:
Fingers crossed that Tenforums can get your sorted--I've visited/used Sevenforums (of which Tenforums is an offshoot) and found useful stuff there...
Very useful. Discovered that despite most advice indicating that for Win 10 systems it should only be necessary to have SMB Direct checked in Windows Features this is not necessarily true. As soon as I also checked SMB1.0 and rebooted everything on the network was visible on the new desktop. It's early days yet but hopefully problem solved.

Quote:
Fie on Windows 10!!! I'm not moving from Win7...'-}}
I understand the sentiment but it could get dangerous when Win 7 support stops in January!!!

Barrie Greed
Old 12-17-2019, 01:57 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
barrie: As soon as I also checked SMB1.0 and rebooted everything on the network was visible on the new desktop.
I'm not surprised that this is the solution as I've read posts/threads where this worked before. I don't really know much about SMB but, if memory serves, at some point Win10 turned off/disabled SMB1.0 with, of course (because why should Microsoft inform users about anything), no notice on Microsoft's part.

I do think that this is indeed the solution...

>>but it could get dangerous when Win 7 support stops in January!!!

LOL!!! Yeah...all those Win7 systems are going to turn into pumpkins and/or the unwashed hoards are going to attack en masse...

I don't think so...'-}}

Terrie
Old 12-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Yeah...all those Win7 systems are going to turn into pumpkins and/or the unwashed hoards are going to attack en masse... I don't think so...'-}}

Right there with you on that, BUT I figure when it comes time to buy a new PC, I'm not likely to find a wide range of Win 7 choices. Like: 0 (plus or minus zero). Unless maybe a custom builder has a stock of as-yet unsold Win7 licenses to draw on.

So I've got a couple of Win10 machines and several VMs to play with. Mind, I have a real business *need* to be able to use Win10 in some cases.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 01:44 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Unless maybe a custom builder has a stock of as-yet unsold Win7 licenses to draw on.
I have a retail license copy for Win7/Pro/64bit bought via ebay just in case. The trickier bit is Microsoft's collusion with mobo makers to hardware block Win7. There is a workaround but I don't know much more than that.

If ()*#$! Microsoft would give users complete control over updates, I might (very, very, very grudgingly) consider Windows 10 but...until that occurs, ain't no fking way...'-}}

Terrie