DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-06-2018, 03:47 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default My HP Pavilion x360-14t Convertible

This is the computer i was sorting out in my "checklist" thread. Not that I have it awhile:

1. The screen color is not as good as previous (Toshiba). There is something off with the white and the contrast, but I was able to greatly improve things using the saturation slider. And now I'm done fooling with it. Bottom line is I notice no problem when viewing photos. Maybe next computer will be better.

2. All my software (so far) installs and runs okay. The main thing missing is Photoshop, which I rarely use these days.

3. I like Windows 10 Pro. The default voice (David) is usable, and better than a male voice I purchased long ago. I sometimes use Cortana to launch software. The alpha part of the start menu is easier than Win 8 to use. I have some tiles set up but I have not spent much time trying to arrange them. I'm not thrilled with the limited controls to change interface colors, but it's not a deal-killer.

4. I was surprised that Adobe Reader is not installed. Not that I need it.

5. There was a search window on the left side of the task bar, and I turned it off to make more room. Later I wanted to turn it back on and there is no control for this. I would have to go into the registry to bring it back.

6. The supplied camera software has no way to adjust for interior light. I would have to change my room's light bulbs to have it look okay.

7 Touch screen is more trouble than it is worth. I keep accidentally launching software when my knuckle hits the task bar.

8. I'm making good use of the convertible ability. I like being able to turn the computer to the screen is in portrait mode. I also like getting the keyboard out of the way by folding it back.