DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 07-18-2006, 12:17 PM   #1
PeterArnel

Location: North of Swindon in the UK on the edge of the Cotswolds
Default 170 gsm

can any one convert this into American speak for me. I have an American client who needs to know what weight of art paper this is
Peter
PeterArnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 01:11 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterArnel
can any one convert this into American speak for me. I have an American client who needs to know what weight of art paper this is
This site gets pretty technical (it actually explains how the calculations are made). But I believe it shows cover stock with a basis weight of 63 as being equivalent to 170 gsm. (Cover stock is probably close to art paper.)

The problem is that the area changes by stock type here — that is, a mill sheet of cover stock is usually 20 X 26 inches; of book stock, 25 X 38 inches; bond, 17 X 22 inches; and sheet newsprint, 24 X 36 inches. That is the source of basis weight.

You guys have it easy, with every weight expressed per square meter!

::

Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #3
PeterArnel

hey
I remember large post (21 x (???) 21ibs - 85gsm
I am not that much older
Peter
Old 07-18-2006, 01:28 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Quote:
peter: can any one convert this into American speak for me. I have an American client who needs to know what weight of art paper this is
"170gsm" is 170 grams per square meter (I'm sure you know that) and in my experience there is no way to tell what weight that is.

When I buy my inkjet art paper from Hawk Mountain Art Papers, they give both gsm and mil measurements--for example Osprey Smooth is 250 gsm/15mil but not all 15mil is 250gsm--15mil is .015" or .381mm. For example, their Peregrine Velvet is 255gm/15mil. Their Condor Bright White is 325gsm/22mil while their Kestrel is 310gsm/26mil...

The only way to know is to ask the paper manufacturer...

For what it's worth...15mil is fairly heavyweight and works well for postcard 4x6" use--just printed 175 of them on Osprey Smooth...

That said, my guess is that 170gsm isn't very heavy at all--perhaps 67lb bristol cover (have some of that an compared it to the Osprey Smooth and it's not as heavy as the Osprey Smooth.

Not sure if that helps you at all...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:08 PM   #5
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
You guys have it easy, with every weight expressed per square meter!
Especially since that is the weight of an A0 sheet of paper. So it's easy to know how much 100 sheets of A4 weigh, for instance.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
PeterArnel

"170gsm" is 170 grams per square meter (I'm sure you know that) and in my experience there is no way to tell what weight that is.
Oh Terrie u make me smile
its easy to tell, what weight it is - what u cant do is tell the thickness - because as the calender the paper to turn it from silk to gloiss - its get thinner but is the same gsm

the formular for weight in 1000's is (say( SRA2) 100gsm - is .45 x .64 x 100 (gsm) = 28.8 kgs per 1000 sheets
Old 07-18-2006, 05:28 PM   #7
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
Especially since that is the weight of an A0 sheet of paper. So it's easy to know how much 100 sheets of A4 weigh, for instance.
Yeah, yeah, yeah! Gloat, willya! We don’t got metric!

Old 07-19-2006, 05:03 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

KT:

We don’t got metric!

But you have: the government of the USA decided to go metric twenty years ago, and the USA has one of the best sites in the world for explaining SI.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:38 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
But you have: the government of the USA decided to go metric twenty years ago, and the USA has one of the best sites in the world for explaining SI.
Yep. But it is not taught in grammar schools (where widespread support must start), nor is it mandated for manufacturing (which you would think would embrace it anyway, but most do not).

There was a brief bit of showing temperatures in both F and C, but that seems to have petered out.

Don’t ask me why.

::

Old 07-19-2006, 07:11 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Yep. But it is not taught in grammar schools (where widespread support must start), nor is it mandated for manufacturing (which you would think would embrace it anyway, but most do not).
And so you get spacecraft crashing because feet and meters are mixed up.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote