DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 07-17-2016, 11:30 AM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default iPhone oddity

Today, my iPhone started giving me this weird error message about the cable not being an approved one and blahblah about how it might not work properly.

Kind of a hard thing to correct when there's no cable plugged in. Sigh. Apple. Kvetch Different.

To add to the fun, the speaker stopped working. Adjusting the volume produced a "Headphones" window, not a "Ringer" one as is normal.

Evidently this isn't an uncommon complaint when it comes to third party lightning cables, but a) the cable I use is pure Apple and b) again, it wasn't plugged in.

A few other people alluded to crud in the ports; pocket-born dust bunny babies.

And that turned out to be it. I blasted the headphone port out with compressed air. The speaker returned and the message departed.

Life is good.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:10 PM   #2
terrie
Sysop

How bizarre! Glad you got it sorted...'-}}

I've got an iPhone (and gmail) oddity for you...my sister (late of ME and now in the Chicago area) told me that when she tries to email me via my compuserve address, the email bounces--I suspect that she's got the wrong address and have asked her that when she has a chance to try it again and then forward the bounce to me so I can see what's going on.

It's not that big a deal but she's also not receiving any email from my cserve addy making her the 2nd person I know with that issue--I don't get a bounce message. I figure maybe the bounce message might give me a clue.

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #3
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Today, my iPhone started giving me this weird error message about the cable not being an approved one and blahblah about how it might not work properly.

Kind of a hard thing to correct when there's no cable plugged in. Sigh. Apple. Kvetch Different.

To add to the fun, the speaker stopped working. Adjusting the volume produced a "Headphones" window, not a "Ringer" one as is normal.

Evidently this isn't an uncommon complaint when it comes to third party lightning cables, but a) the cable I use is pure Apple and b) again, it wasn't plugged in.

A few other people alluded to crud in the ports; pocket-born dust bunny babies.

And that turned out to be it. I blasted the headphone port out with compressed air. The speaker returned and the message departed.

Life is good.
Crumbs from the sandwich you fed to the dog at the beginning of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy game? Or was it the pocket fluff that got wedged into the port?

Can you imagine anyone providing real pocket fluff with a computer game these days?

Old 07-18-2016, 06:49 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I suspect that she's got the wrong address and have asked her that when she has a chance to try it again and then forward the bounce to me so I can see what's going on.

ErrrUmmm .... if the email bounces in the first place, won't it bounce again when she forwards the bouncemail? Or are you trying keep her entertained and out of your hair indefnitely? ;-)

We had some weird bounces here where a couple of providers were bouncing mail because it looked like spam to them. "Looked like spam" turned out in one case to be "more than one link in Herself's auto-sig line". Geez.

Might want to have her check with very plain email, no links, no nuttin'.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-18-2016, 06:51 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Did you see that, sports(and Adams)fans? She nailed it. Hole-in-one.

Or close. It was lint from my towel.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 07-18-2016, 03:48 PM   #6
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
steve: Or are you trying keep her entertained and out of your hair indefnitely? ;-)
ROFL!!! She'd forward the bounce to my other email addy--the one we were using at the point. That stated, I hadn't actually thought of that...'-}}

>>Might want to have her check with very plain email, no links, no nuttin'.

Oh yeah...she uses that crappy html mail with extra toppings in her sig but trying to get her to change that would be useless--it's gmail after all...

The other day, I discovered that gmail was soooo @#$!!! helpful in that by default it sets "Secure Apps" so that you can't send/retrieve gmail mail from 3rd party email software under the guise of gmail saving your from yourself...ugh! I have grown to loathe gmail...

Terrie
Old 07-18-2016, 03:49 PM   #7
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
steve: Hole-in-one.
We've always know she was very clever...'-}}

Terrie
Old 07-19-2016, 02:03 AM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

I do use Gmail and 3rd party e-mail clients. Which works well. Thunderbird on my laptop and Outlook on my mobile devices. There might be issues with some clients but anything recent should work.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:25 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Rindsberg View Post
Did you see that, sports(and Adams)fans? She nailed it. Hole-in-one.

Or close. It was lint from my towel.
LOL! I often put my phone in my pocket, but it usually has my headphones plugged into the port, thus allowing me to listen to my favourite radio station while I'm out walking, and coincidentally protecting the port from pocket fluff and towel lint.

Old 07-19-2016, 06:28 AM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> by default it sets "Secure Apps"

But you can override this, no?

It's likely an anti-spam measure, I figure.

www.pptools.com
and stuff