DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 08-21-2017, 08:48 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default ThinkPad 2TB Secure USB Drive

I read a lot of online reviews, and there are slews of them where people report receiving counterfeit. I see this all the time with thumb drives, which a smaller one being sold as a larger one.

Staples and other outlets are selling a Lenovo ThinkPad USB 3.0 Secure External Hard Drive, 2TB. Model is 4XB0K83868. Odd thing, though, is I checked the Lenovo site and they don't list a 2TB drive. The largest is 1TB.

Old 08-21-2017, 11:43 AM   #2
terrie
Sysop

I've read about counterfeit drives also but Staples is a pretty large organization to be selling counterfeit drives. It could be that Lenovo has made drives specifically for Staples--for example, the HP ProBook laptops that MicroCenter sells are, I think, spec'd specifically for MicroCenter and if you do a browser search by model number MicroCenter is the prime seller.

You might try doing a browser search without the model number...just use 'Lenovo ThinkPad 2TB USB 3.0 Secure External Hard Drive'--I'd use single quotes on the initial search--and see what pops up...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2017, 02:16 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Using no quotes, I found this https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/acc100255

Old 08-22-2017, 06:28 AM   #4
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I found that one here:

http://www3.lenovo.com/au/en/accesso...T/p/4XB0K83868

But a search for the same product (either by name or product number) on the usual www.lenovo.com site turn up nothing:

http://search3.lenovo.com/search?w=t...ve&fsearch=yes

Scroll to the bottom of the first page above and you'll note that it's intended, apparently, for Australian audiences. Change that to US and search again for usb3 secure hard drive and you're back to "Nobody home".

Odd. But if Staples has it, I think I'd trust them to be selling The Real Deal. One of my father's theories, and a reasonable one, I think, was that you don't have to worry too much about the big companies ... they have too much to lose to risk playing stupid tricks like selling bogus merchandise. It's the little guys, the ones who can pull up their tent in the middle of the night and pitch it again under a new name a few days later ... they're the ones to be cautious of.

He explained this to me after we'd gotten up to our elbows in grease working on one or another of our cars. We were using that mechanic's hand cleaner stuff that used to come in cans and one or the other of us commented on the fact that the stuff always came from companies you'd never heard of (and often never heard of again after first purchase). He opined that it was probably doing horrible things to our skin and lungs (as a chemist he was probably right). A big company could lose millions in any ensuing lawsuits. The companies that actually sold this stuff would be long gone by the time a lawyer started to chase them. And anyway, the risk to our selves was far less than it would have been had we entered the house still greased up. ;-)

Later we found that dishwashing liquid works pretty much as well as the Horror-in-a-Can stuff, so we lived to degrease another day.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #5
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I believe I saw it on Newegg the other day.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2017, 11:24 AM   #6
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
steve: the risk to our selves was far less than it would have been had we entered the house still greased up. ;-)
LOL!!! '-}}

Terrie
Old 08-22-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

I guess I haven't been keeping up with prices on non-secure drives. Like 5tb powered by the USB 3 port, for $140. I assume that for Windows, the drive would have be partitioned to act as three disk drives.

Old 08-23-2017, 07:01 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> I assume that for Windows, the drive would have be partitioned to act as three disk drives.

It depends. It's fair to assume that if they're selling you a 5tb drive, the enclosure itself is capable of supporting a drive that size (you can't just drop a big drive into just any enclosure and expect it to work, though).

This gives a detailed description of the ins/outs of the question:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rger-than-2-tb

David C's answer on this page is more human-friendly and less MS-ese:
https://superuser.com/questions/3084...sb-hard-drives

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:52 AM   #9
terrie
Sysop

Quote:
andrew: Like 5tb powered by the USB 3 port, for $140.
Am I understanding correctly that the drive does not come with a power adapter--not sure if that's the correct term but basically, something you plug into a electrical wall outlet?

I don't think I would ever buy an external drive without a power adapter primarily because I think that they need more power than can be supplied by (dual, if needed) USB connector(s)...

Terrie
Old 08-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Hugh Wyn Griffith

I believe that USB3 does supply more power than the previous 500mW.

And SATA drives do not require 12 volts only 5 volts.

Quote:
USB 3.0 - Wikipedia

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB_3.0

Jump to Power and charging - USB 3.0 ports may also implement other USB specifications for increased power, including the USB Battery Charging Specification for up to 1.5 A or 7.5 watts, or the USB Power Delivery specification for up to 100 watts.

My CIS colleagues maintain that the main reason to get external drives with power-bricks is to enable the case to have a cooling fan.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote