DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 11-26-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Default Later !

-----------------------------later ---

If you are reading new posts in threaded view you may see scattered bunches of unread messages individually marked with the yellow icon in the thread tree. That way you can pick which to read.

BUT as soon as you reply to the first one, all unread markers change to read, even tho' you've not read them yet. So there is no really practical way of reading just the remaining unread ones.

Any chance of correcting this? Having a Next Unread button and not just Next would be nice too. <g>

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2007, 11:36 AM   #2
dthomsen8

Default I just read all messages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post

If you are reading new posts in threaded view you may see scattered bunches of unread messages individually marked with the yellow icon in the thread tree. That way you can pick which to read.

BUT as soon as you reply to the first one, all unread markers change to read, even tho' you've not read them yet. So there is no really practical way of reading just the remaining unread ones.

Any chance of correcting this? Having a Next Unread button and not just Next would be nice too. <g>
You didn't receive any responses, so I am contributing my rather minor response. I just read the whole chain of messages, and pay no attention to the markers you mention.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 02:43 PM   #3
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
You didn't receive any responses, so I am contributing my rather minor response.
Thanks -- I didn't miss the silence since we were cruising and just got back <g>

Quote:
I just read the whole chain of messages, and pay no attention to the markers you mention.
That's what I do the first read through but when you come back later and there are say 20 messages you've read and 3 that you've not, that is boring <g>

Hugh
Old 12-06-2007, 01:25 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:

Sorry, Hugh. Saw your message but didn’t have time to reply then, and then I forgot about it.

There are some definite problems in vBulletin that vary by the viewing method. Threaded has some, hybrid may have even more. Only linear seems to work sensibly.

But to be specific, I have long ignored the indicators on messages. I generally use hybrid, and use the Get Posts > New Posts dropdown. I read the threads up from the bottom (not sure why, actually, but that is what I do), then use the Get Posts > New Posts again.

When viewing a thread, I check to be sure that I am reading all the messages posted since my last read (the posting date/time is shown in the thread view and my last reading time in the Welcome box, more or less — last visited, anyway).

Is it classy? No. But I rarely miss a message that way.

Old 12-07-2007, 06:27 AM   #5
dthomsen8

Can you please point to where these choices are made, for the benefit of those who don't even know that they should be making a choice?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2007, 07:20 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Can you please point to where these choices are made, for the benefit of those who don't even know that they should be making a choice?
Sure.

Click on the Get Posts dropdown menu in the top bar (the one with User CP in it), then click on New Posts (or 1 Day, 2 Days, etc.).

The Display Mode dropdown appears in the bar above the thread list (in Hybrid or Threaded mode) or first message in the thread (in Linear). It is toward the right on the bar.

Posting time is shown in your local time with each message (and, in Threaded or Hybrid mode, in the thread list at the top).

The time of your last visit is in the Welcome box at top right on all pages.

One other thing: Once you have read all the unread messages, use Get Posts > 1 Day to retrieve a list of messages. Then go the Quick Links dropdown menu and click on Mark Forums Read. That will make unread messages more visible when you come back next time.

Old 12-09-2007, 02:45 PM   #7
Hugh Wyn Griffith

My reply to dthomson8 explains why the alternatives are unsatisfactory ....

I realize that you may not be able to do anything about it but if I don't mention things .....

Hugh
Old 12-10-2007, 06:44 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
My reply to dthomson8 explains why the alternatives are unsatisfactory ....

I realize that you may not be able to do anything about it but if I don't mention things .....
We appreciate your mentioning them.

vBulletin has its virtues, some weaknesses, and many oddities (especially for those of us brought up the CIS way).

There is another big update coming, but I fear they spent most of their energy on bells and whistles. We shall see.

Old 12-10-2007, 11:36 AM   #9
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I read the threads up from the bottom (not sure why, actually, but that is what I do)
I used to do that too, when they expired if not read within an hour, but now that we have the settings so that unread messages show as unread (or at least the threads still show as unread in the Get Posts > New list) for a few days, I now read in order of interest to me.

Old 12-14-2007, 10:14 AM   #10
curveto

Location: some room with white padded walls ... now surrounded by Saguaro Cacti

> Sorry, Hugh. Saw your message but didn’t have time to reply then, and then I forgot about it.

She was probably stewed in thought about how to reduce the population of Penguins.
curveto is offline   Reply With Quote