DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 02-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #11
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

For my needs, the speed of these little drives isn't a big issue. I'm usually using them attached to a spare laptop to do the backups from a NAS device (which itself has another external USB attached and that the NAS software backs everything up to periodically; did I hear you whisper "obsessive"?)

So as long as the backup finishes up overnight or sooner, the drive is plenty fast. And since it's usually backing up only changed files, it goes pretty quickly.

If you want speed in an external, Samsung makes some teeny little USB3 SSD drives that you could nearly fit in a wallet. This looks to be the current version of it; uses a USB-C connector now:

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-T5-Po...3+portable+ssd

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 02:08 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: did I hear you whisper "obsessive"?
Me? NEVER!!!

Obsessive is my middle name...'-}}

>>Samsung makes some teeny little USB3 SSD drives that you could nearly fit in a wallet

I'lle see you that and raise you the Samsung Fit drive of which I bought 2. One for my sister (plugged in to a 7 port USB hub which has on/off switch for each port so she can leave it plugged in all the time and just turns the port switch on/off as necessary) and one for me which I've not actually used yet but it's VERY CUTE...'-}}

Prior to seeing the Fantom drive that I'm likely to buy, I was being dazzled by the speed idea and I was considering one of those small portable SSDs as in your link and also a Samsung EVO 970 m2 nvme drive to be used in a nifty enclosure but then I realized it was way too pricey particularly compared to the Fantom with a 3TB 7200rpm drive in a nice enclosure is $119 so practicality outweighed snazzy...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 08:04 AM   #13
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

That Fit drive is cute and capacious enough to be very useful. My mom used to laugh at me as a kid, because I'd carry around one of my dad's old briefcases stuffed with my "important papers". What she doesn't know is that now I always carry around a 128gb thumb drive stuffed with my ... you guessed it.

As to the other, for what you're talking about using it for, a standard drive just makes more sense. A USB3/7200rpm drive will be plenty fast enough. I got the little Samsung thingie to use for storing virtual machines. When I'm away from the office, I sometimes need to boot into one of them to do tech support for a customer, so needed something a) fast and b) lightweight enough to carry around all the time.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2019, 01:34 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: That Fit drive is cute and capacious enough to be very useful.
Exactly!!! And...it's on sale--I paid a wee bit more.

I have a 32GB Kingston thumbdrive I carry around--a DTR3.0G2--with all my "important stuff"(fewer "papers" than odds and ends of software, notes, etc.) and I'm really pissed that I didn't buy the same model with a larger capacity since they don't make that model any longer. It's nicely designed--rubbery outer shell--and it has an indicator light which I find helpful since I can't hear the normal USB click.

>>I got the little Samsung thingie to use for storing virtual machines.

Oh! That little Samsung would be perfect for that as it's so fast! I really do lust after that nvme and that enclosure because it's so cool but, I really have any sort of use for it that can't be satisfied by what I already have.

Terrie
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #15
Andrew B.
Staff

I was thinking about your post and realizing I know nothing about the third party stuff. I did a search on Partition Magic (which I used back in the olden days) and got a hit, but it appears to not be THE Partition Magic. But, have you checked SnapFiles. I set the filter for only high ratings by the editors there, but you can change this to what is rated highest by users or whatever.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #16
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I did a search on Partition Magic (which I used back in the olden days
Me too!!!! I still have the software CD (somewhere)...'-}}

Thanks for that SnapFiles link. I know of EasUS software (they make a disk backup/imaging software) and the MiniTool Partition Wizard. I still haven't decided if I will partition the external drive or not--today, it's not but, tomorrow I might change my mind...'-}}

Terrie