DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 01-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default Partition an external drive?

A bit of background:

I'm planning on ordering a new external drive--a 3TB Fantom G-Force3 Pro USB3.0. It will be used for general file backup (just copy/paste from my local drive to the external, not via backup software) and also I'm planning on (finally!) using Macrium Reflect (free) to image my O/S drive.

At this point, I know I want to use Macrium to image my O/S drive and also perhaps for the partition with my installed software--I need to read through the Macrium user guide before I make any hard and fast decisions about which drives to image.

I'm thinking of partitioning the external drive into 2 possibly 3 partitions--perhaps 2 ~1.5TB partitions or 3 ~ 1TB partitions. I was thinking that I'd use one partition for my general file backup (data, images, etc., not O/S) and the other parition would hold whatever drive image(s) I finally decide to do.

Questions:

1. Does anyone know of any limitation within Win7/Pro/64bit as to drive size. In other words is 3TB too big for Win7--I suspect not but always good to ask.

2. Are there disadvantages to partitioning an external drive?

3. Suggestions as to which partitioning software to use?

4. I'm guessing that I can have multiple drive images (stored in different directory names of course) in the same partition?

5. What question(s) should I be asking that I've not asked?

Thanks...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 08-15-2019 at 01:49 PM.
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2019, 08:40 PM   #2
Andrew B.
Staff

1. Here's an article that covers drive size.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rger-than-2-tb

2. As far as multiple partitions go, having more than one gives you less flexibility if one gets close to full.

3. Doesn't Windows 7 come with such a utility?

Old 01-31-2019, 12:35 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Quote:
Andrew: Doesn't Windows 7 come with such a utility?
Yes and my guess is that it works with external drives but another guess is that there's a nice little utility out there (perhaps free) that does it more easily...'-}}

Thanks for that link...most helpful!

Terrie
Old 02-10-2019, 09:14 PM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

I was thinking about your post and realizing I know nothing about the third party stuff. I did a search on Partition Magic (which I used back in the olden days) and got a hit, but it appears to not be THE Partition Magic. But, have you checked SnapFiles. I set the filter for only high ratings by the editors there, but you can change this to what is rated highest by users or whatever.

Old 02-11-2019, 01:07 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I did a search on Partition Magic (which I used back in the olden days
Me too!!!! I still have the software CD (somewhere)...'-}}

Thanks for that SnapFiles link. I know of EasUS software (they make a disk backup/imaging software) and the MiniTool Partition Wizard. I still haven't decided if I will partition the external drive or not--today, it's not but, tomorrow I might change my mind...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-31-2019, 06:38 AM   #6
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I'd agree with Andrew: don't see an advantage is there to partitioning an external drive when directories would do.

FWIW, my offsite backup system involves two USB removables. I copy all my stuff to one, take it to my mom's place, bring the one that's there back here for the next round of backup. A while back I switched to a pair of Seagate BackupPlus drives. Tiny. 4TB. No issues on any of the Win7/64 systems I've used them with (other than with the USB3 port on one laptop, but it has problems with USB3 everything, so ignore it)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2019, 12:49 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: don't see an advantage is there to partitioning an external drive when directories would do.
Yeah...there is that but then you (can often) start getting "buried" deeply in subfolders. In my mind it's tidier to create partitions so that this data goes "there" and other data goes "here"--sort of like using 2 smaller boxes rather than one large box...

>> Tiny. 4TB. No issues on any of the Win7/64 systems I've used them with

Good to know. I figured 3TB would not be an issue but I also figured it was worth asking about. One thing that attracts me to this Fantom drive is that it has an on/off switch which means that I can leave it plugged into my system--both in terms of power and USB'ing--and just turn it off when not in use rather than having to haul out the drive, plug in the a/c adapter (I never buy stuff like this without an a/c adapter) and then plug in the USB cable.

It would be so much nicer and quicker to just flip the switch and copy whatever to the drive.

I just took a look at what I think is your Seagate drive at newegg and it looks like a decent system--well priced too.

Thanks...

Terrie
Old 02-01-2019, 10:29 AM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Yeah...there is that but then you (can often) start getting "buried" deeply in subfolders. In my mind it's tidier to create partitions so that this data goes "there" and other data goes "here"--sort of like using 2 smaller boxes rather than one large box...

Put a couple folders at the root level, call them Partition_One, Partition_Two etc and it's all the same, yes?

No, actually. Because now your different smaller boxes are elastic, unlike actual partitions.

Splitting data into compartments makes all the sense in the world, though. WAY simpler for backups, IMO.

>>I just took a look at what I think is your Seagate drive at newegg and it looks like a decent system--well priced too.

Mine's this one. Way smaller, ten bucks more but it doesn't have a power supply and isn't also a hub, which might be a nice feature for a desktop unit. Since I cart these back and forth and take up shelf space at The Mom's place, small=good. But not a major factor for your needs, I'd think.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-781-_-Product

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Old 02-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Splitting data into compartments makes all the sense in the world, though. WAY simpler for backups, IMO.
I'm all for compartmentalization!!! '-}}

Thanks for the link to the one you have. There are 2 other advantages to the Fantom--3 year warranty and...7200rpm drive. I figure that the longer the warranty, the likelihood that the device (made by the same company) is better made than one with the 1 or 2 year warranty.

Do you know the drive speed on the Seagates? I couldn't find any info on that on the newegg page...

>>Since I cart these back and forth and take up shelf space at The Mom's place, small=good. But not a major factor for your needs, I'd think.

Oh, definitely!

Terrie
Old 02-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #10
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Do you know the drive speed on the Seagates?

According to someone on TomsHardware.com, mine is 5900 rpm.
The desktop models might be faster, since they have access to more power to spin the drive.

www.pptools.com
and stuff