DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 07-13-2009, 10:07 AM   #1
pubber

Default Another publisher interested in my publication

Another publisher wants to buy a copy of one of my publications and I just wondered if this was significant in any way, or whether I should be cautious about it.
The publication is 'Skegness in the 1880s,' which features historical and human interest stories that took place in a British seaside resort in the 1880s.
The publisher who wants to buy a copy is based in another British seaside resort, in case this is significant.

Old 07-13-2009, 11:42 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Pubber:

If he just wants to buy a copy and you sell copies to others, it would probably be difficult to prevent him from obtaining a copy (he could ask a spouse or staff member to make the purchase for him, for example).

If he is thinking of publishing something similar to your book, he may just be researching. Maybe he is researching you — thinking of asking you to write or collaborate on a book about his resort town.

Or maybe his location is just a coincidence, perhaps he is thinking of visiting your neck of the woods on his next holiday.

I wouldn’t worry about it. Unless he out-and-out lifts text from your book (which would be a copyright violation), it is not all that easy to create a new work by borrowing from another. I would sell him the book, take the money, and enjoy it!

Old 07-14-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Michael Beloved

I agree with Ktinkel. You may also contact the publisher for a face to face meeting or a phone call in which you may inquire into his or her interest in your work.
The connection might prove to be useful in other ways, and by making the contact you alert the person that you are aware of the purchase and have some interest in what happens to your material.
You won't say that of course but just the effort to do that will produce that effect.
Michael Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:10 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Michael...just to let you know that you were again bitten by the moderation flag bug we've been experiencing and I have approved your post. We had tried turning off a forum software option but that doesn't seem to have fixed the problem.

We'll keep trying to figure out what the problem is...

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 07-14-2009 at 12:38 PM.
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 12:41 PM   #5
pubber

Thanks, your replies are very re-assuring.
By the way, I received the order via Nielsens UK, which supplied my ISBN numbers. They also market publications for their clients, ie. publishers which use their services, as you are probably aware.
I have to say that it was a pleasant surprise, it's probably an example of the marketing power of the ISBN number! Or its equivalent in the US, Australia etc.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
Benwiggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubber View Post
T it's probably an example of the marketing power of the ISBN number! Or its equivalent in the US, Australia etc.
Err.... the I stands for International !!

If the publisher produces books in the same field, they will almost certainly want to see what other titles are around, as they will want their books to be different from the competition.

The paradox of book publishing: your title must be similar enough to a successful book, to suggest that it will sell; but it must also be different enough to distinguish itself as unique in the market!
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 AM   #7
pubber

Oops! Actually, not as dumb as it sounds, just a bit of shorthand that went wrong. I meant when I use the ISBN service I'm using it from a UK perspective, ie. it worked for me as a UK publisher.
When a publisher in the US uses it they're using it from a US perspective, does it work for them, etc.
Thanks for the info., though, I'll remember your 'paradox of publishing.'
Actually I've already experienced it, without realising it.
Before publishing,I checked out the competition to check whether books of this genre, length, style, etc., sell, and created a publication that's similar but different.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:12 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

The main purpose of ISBN is to get your book listed in the grand catalog. Without an ISBN number some sellers will not handle a book (I believe that includes Amazon).

I never thought of it as a marketing device, but perhaps it is.