DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 12-20-2018, 06:37 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default IP malware risk is not website risk?

McAfee blocked my access to a website. I looked up the website on https://www.trustedsource.org and it was listed as minimal risk. So I searched instead on the IP address and it's high risk.

I guess this is possible if the site is on a shared server. One bad site on the server could get the IP blacklisted, and as a result all sites hosted there are blocked. Or not.

Thoughts?

Old 12-20-2018, 07:15 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: One bad site on the server could get the IP blacklisted, and as a result all sites hosted there are blocked. Or not.
Yes...it can happen as I've read posts about it on various fora. I don't think it's all that common but it does happen.

I've never cared for McAfee's software and it doesn't have that good a rep. What's the actual software--an antivirus or security suite (I don't care for "suites" either...'-}})?

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2018, 07:17 AM   #3
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> One bad site on the server could get the IP blacklisted, and as a result all sites hosted there are blocked.

I expect so. Same thing can happen with email. One bad actor on the server can get everybody blocked.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 12:36 PM   #4
groucho
Staff

Agreed.
And then last month I had Malwarebytes (who keeping "improving" their interface to make it more hostile if you're just using the freeware version) tell me that three VERY old files I have in my archive are malware. No reason why, just get rid of 'em, after years of no problems or complaints.
The nice folks at Malwarebytes say to submit the files, so I did. And instead of saying anything in response, they said "Oh, you need to also generate full system logs so we can see that too."
Sometimes, we just need to throw out old reliable products.

I've also gotten an Android warning because "that vendor also was once associated with suspected malware" even though thousands of folks, for years, have been using the "new" app without any problem. The vendor says the malware scanning company doesn't care...they're not examining the product they want to burn.

Too complicated. But then again, lawsuits and requests for FTC investigations of Patreon and PayPal for their similar behavior (guilt and tar by association, outside of the contract terms) seem to be the way to go these days.
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2018, 02:14 PM   #5
terrie
Staff

Quote:
groucho: Sometimes, we just need to throw out old reliable products.
Nah...just go back to older versions that still work and...get antimalware updates....'-}}

I use MBAM version 1.75 which can be (cleanly and safely) downloaded from:

1. MBAM: oldapps.com

2. MBAM: filehorse.com

Long time no see...Happy New Year...'-}}

Terrie
Old 12-28-2018, 03:42 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I might as well join in with my story. Norton deleted a file from my computer because it contained a PUA (potentially unwanted application). Meaning, it was an installation program that contained bundled software that one could decline to install. I guess the idea being that bundling is sneaky, and so heads must roll. And in my case I lost the install file for an earlier version of a program that I valued so much I didn't mind unchecking two boxes.

Old 12-28-2018, 03:50 PM   #7
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Norton deleted a file from my computer because it contained a PUA
That is just a crap move! It should always ask first before deleting...

If you let me know the name of the software (and which version you want), I'll look and see if I can find it...

Terrie
Old 12-28-2018, 04:03 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
If you let me know the name of the software (and which version you want), I'll look and see if I can find it...
Thanks for the offer but the author of the software eventually came out with another stable version, and so the need for that older version disappeared. And the bundling is gone now.

Old 12-28-2018, 06:08 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Ahhh...glad you were able to get a workable version...

Happy New Year! '-}}

Terrie
Old 12-28-2018, 06:38 PM   #10
groucho
Staff

"That is just a crap move! It should always ask first before deleting..."
There's usually an easily overlooked setup option (i.e. Normal/Custom) that hides that.

Yes, it has been a long time, and hoping the coming year is a good one for everyone.

That link to the old file URL is appreciated. I would like a *current* virus definition list, can the old version keep itself updated on that, even if the program is not updated?
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote