DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 02-02-2019, 12:48 PM   #11
terrie
Staff

By the way...if you can't find the "extrastuff" subfolder in the Eudora software installation folder, let me know and I'll email you the "esoteric.epi" file...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2019, 03:53 PM   #12
Andrew B.
Staff

Got it. And now I have the ports settings. I also have a stomach ache. Tomorrow I will dive in again.

Old 02-02-2019, 05:46 PM   #13
Andrew B.
Staff

I got IMAP going and it's a strange experience. It created within Eudora a duplicate fo the mailbox and folder system that exists in my email account on CompuServe and populated it with what is in the corresponding mailboxes and folders on CompuServe. It also appears to be "wanting" to keep this all updated.

So in theory, one does not have to visit the CompuServe website or even retrieve things with a POP client. All one has to do is look in Eudora and all will be revealed. This is a bit unsettling because I'm not used to it.

But here's how this all started. I was failing to receive important emails via Eudora and realized CompuServe had move them to a spam folder. I thought I had turned that off, but it looks like now there is no way to turn it off. So it was suggested to be that I use IMAP so I can see it all.

Old 02-02-2019, 07:09 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: All one has to do is look in Eudora and all will be revealed. This is a bit unsettling because I'm not used to it.
LOL!!! That's basically the way IMAP works and I'm so glad you got IMAP working for you...'-}}

It occurred to me just a few minutes ago, that you might also find the following info useful. This is the info I have from both Cserve/AOL and Verizon when they took over AOL:

IMAP settings:
Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.csi.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.csi.com

Alternative IMAP hosts--I've never used these settings so I don't know if they work:
Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.cs.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.cs.com

POP3 settings:
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.csi.com Incoming= Required alternate port
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.csi.com

Alternative POP3 hosts--I've never used these settings so I don't know if they work:
Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.cs.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.cs.com

General Notes:
Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail servers:
POP3: Port=995 - SSL
IMAP: Port=993 - SSL
SMTP: Port=465 - SSL
SMTP: Port=587 - SSL / TLS

>>I was failing to receive important emails via Eudora and realized CompuServe had move them to a spam folder.

Yeah...that's why (with POP at least) I go to webmail.aol.com and log in to regularly check and see what's in the Spambox and, to delete any mail I'm not interested in that might be in my Inbox so that when I do the GetMail in Eudora, I'm only retrieving the mail I actually want.

One thing I don't like about IMAP is that because of the way it works, unless you move your email from Eudora's Inbox (and Trashbox and Spambox for that matter) to a locally-based Eudora subfolder, your mail is, in a sense, visible online all the time because it's still on the servers.

For some, that is an advantage and why one might use IMAP but for me, with basically a single (desktop) device (no phone, no tablet), I don't need my mail to hang out in AOL's/Verizon's servers any longer than necessary.

Terrie
Old 02-03-2019, 09:57 AM   #15
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
For some, that is an advantage and why one might use IMAP but for me, with basically a single (desktop) device (no phone, no tablet), I don't need my mail to hang out in AOL's/Verizon's servers any longer than necessary.
I already removed IMAP. For one thing it was not showing the spam folder. Next, it had a mind of its own, and kept doing tasks which would turn off if I rummaged around one of the pre-existing folders.

Old 02-03-2019, 12:54 PM   #16
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: Next, it had a mind of its own
I had that happen with my mail.com IMAP account and while I was finally able to get it to settle down, I ended up switching to POP for that account also--this is in Thunderbird. My Eudora doesn't have a "Spam" folder. It has a "Junk" folder which I've always assumed was for spam--I've never used it or set the options for "junk" finding.

Well...at least you know how to get IMAP set up now if you decide to go back to it in the future.

Terrie