DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 09-17-2018, 09:06 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Hard drive greater than 2TB

I keep returning to this question and the answer is always "yes" but I'm never clear on whether it can be in the form of a single logical drive and and whether it is prone to more errors. In other words, if one gets a 4TB drive can they see and reliable use it as a single 4TB drive (not two 2TB drives).

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...rger-than-2-tb

Old 09-17-2018, 09:32 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

You have a Win10 system correct? If so, that article does not apply to Win10 systems--or Win8/8.1 for that matter. I'm waiting on the a/c repair guy so I can't read the article in detail but will do that when the repair guy has finished--hopefully having fixed my a/c...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2018, 10:19 AM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

Maybe I should have posted a different article. I keep getting confused about the issues.
From what i have read it is really not about which version of Windows. For the boot drive, it is about whether your motherboard has UEFI BIOS that can boot into a GPT drive. Or, if it's a secondary drive it's whether you can set it up as a GPT drive. And I guess there are workarounds I don't know about.

In my situation I only care about how my computer sees an an external drive. Can it see it as a single >2tb drive, and will it be no less reliable.

Old 09-18-2018, 02:48 AM   #4
Barrie Greed

Default Hard Drive Greater than 2TB

Andrew

Not sure if this is helpful but I have what Western Digital call a 6TB USB external drive attached to a Windows 7 system which Windows Explorer reports as per the attached image.

This is not a boot drive. It simply holds data. Largely video files. Seems to be working OK so far.

Barrie Greed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MyBook.png
Views:	81
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	2033  
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2018, 08:09 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Greed View Post
Andrew

Not sure if this is helpful but I have what Western Digital call a 6TB USB external drive attached to a Windows 7 system which Windows Explorer reports as per the attached image.
Very helpful. It shows what I was asking. This might sound like an odd question, but how much of that used space contains your files (as opposed a file allocation table or some other use)?

Old 09-18-2018, 12:30 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: but how much of that used space contains your files (as opposed a file allocation table or some other use)?
I can't speak for Barrie but, I suspect that the majority of the space is files with very little allocated to system stuff.

I have a 1TB external drive and if, in Explorer, I highlight the drive (at root and...after plugging it in...'-}}), and then right-click and choose "Properties" the "General" tab displays a fair amount of info one of which is "Size on Disk". Make a note of that number.

If you then highlight each (top-level) folder in turn, right-click, choose "Properties" and note the "Size on Disk" for each folder and then add those up, my guess is that it would match the "Size on Disk" value for the "root" level "Properties"--if there is any mismatch in the size, that might be the system stuff and my guess is that it would not be very large.

I also suspect that UEFI is now the norm rather than the exception but that's just my own gut level belief rather than anything formal.

Given that my desktop system is my primary (vs. the laptop I use as a backup and testbed system), I have more flexibility when it comes to drives. My current desktop system has a 256GB SSD which has my O/S on it. I also have a 1TB mechanical drive partitioned as follows: text data (~100GB), software (~100GB), downloads/miscellaneous (~100GB), imaging files (~600GB). For a desktop system, I don't think I would ever use a single large drive (greater than 1TB) as it makes me nervous to put everything on a single drive--even multipartitioned.

With laptops of course, it's not common to have more than one drive and so practicality outweighs preference and a single large drive is almost a certainty. The laptop I have has a 500GB mechanical drive and it's not partitioned. I not sure if the drive were larger (say 1TB) that might not partition it because I'm not sure if partitioning would buy me anything.

With external drives, I lean towards the larger the better...

Not sure any of the above is at all useful...'-}}

Terrie
Old 09-18-2018, 01:14 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I can't speak for Barrie but, I suspect that the majority of the space is files with very little allocated to system stuff.
I was asking for a different reason. Even though the scenario you posted is what we usually see, I've read of partition problems where it looks like the disk is full of files, but it's not.

Old 09-19-2018, 02:11 AM   #8
Barrie Greed

Andrew

I have read elsewhere that GPT disks create a dummy MBR which when read with tools that do not understand GPT show the disk as full as a way of preventing damage to the disk from inappropriate tools. There is some mention of that here.

Barrie Greed
Old 09-19-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: I've read of partition problems where it looks like the disk is full of files, but it's not.
I think Barrie's comment and the link might be what's going on?

Terrie
Old 09-19-2018, 02:07 AM   #10
Barrie Greed

Andrew

Not sure I am technically qualified to answer that question accurately. What I can tell you is that Tree Size reports that of the 940GB currently showing in Windows Explorer ( I have been tidying up since yesterday) 939.9GB is used by folders. So it looks to be very little space used for file allocation tables.

Barrie Greed