DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-23-2017, 06:07 PM   #1
Ronald

Default Advice on Mobile vs. Desktop Site Design

First off, you'll have to forgive my lack of modern web design knowledge. I'm planning on developing a portfolio website, likely using Wix. I just have some basic HTML/CSS experience from several years ago, and I'm not privy on mobile vs. desktop site design, so I'd appreciate some advice.

To give you an idea of what I have in mind, I designed a title graphic based on a 2.5"x3.5" vintage Topps trading card wrapper. I'd like to use it as an introductory/homepage (see attached graphic, which is not mine but simply shown for demonstration). This would suit the smartphone dimensions with its tall, rectangular layout, and links could be provided in the footer area, or maybe just placed on a dimmed header strip over the graphic. For the desktop version, the layout could show the wrapper fully opened and spread flat to make use of the extra margin space (normally, these areas of the wrapper would include an advertisement, a chewing gum ingredients list, and copyright info).

Is there a standard way of approaching this, or do I need to rethink it entirely? Wix has you design mobile and desktop separately. I've also encountered terms like "responsive" web design and wonder if by choosing Wix I'm not taking the most cutting-edge approach to web design.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	website_layouts copy.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	1992  
Ronald is offline   Reply With Quote