DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 12-30-2019, 01:10 PM   #1
terrie
Staff

Default The apocalypse is nigh...hell is freezing over...'-}}

Late last night via ebay, I did a buyitnow for 2 OEM Windows 8.1/Pro and I also almost bought a refurb'd HP ProBook with Win8.1/Pro--really good price--and only at the last minute thought to double check that the laptop came with cables--it didn't so I didn't buy it...

The end times are near...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 09:02 PM   #2
terrie
Staff

Since the well priced refurb'd laptop did not have power cables, I went looking to see what else I could find at a reasonable price. I did a buyitnow for another HP Win8.1/Pro laptop (with power cable) for a tad over $150.

Oh well...everyone does stupid stuff so I've got my fingers crossed that I haven't been too stupid...'-}}

Terrie

Last edited by terrie; 12-31-2019 at 01:39 PM. Reason: fix a typo
Old 12-31-2019, 01:49 AM   #3
Bo Aakerstrom

You know how to live right on the edge! Life is more exciting that way.

Old 12-31-2019, 01:38 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

ROFL!!

It's all my sister's fault because of the work she does for her clients and the software she uses and which updates annually (all the better to get more money out of the users) and while my sister doesn't always go to the new version each year, it occurred to me as tech support that maybe I should take a little closer look at Win8.1 (OH!!! GAG!!!) just in case.

The laptop hasn't even been shipped yet and I'm already dreading getting the system set up particularly because of the missing Appearance options. I had hoped that someone in all this time might have come up with a nice little 3rd party utility but that doesn't seem to be the case--at least that I could find researching a bit yesterday...

Terrie
Old 01-02-2020, 06:58 AM   #5
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Considering the new PC is to aid in technical support, wouldn't it be best to leave the UI in relatively out-of-box state so you can be sure you and Sis are seeing the same thing?

AKA The "Lay back and Think of England" argument.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 02:34 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: wouldn't it be best to leave the UI in relatively out-of-box state so you can be sure you and Sis are seeing the same thing?
I'm confused--not an uncommon occurrence...'-}}--and...I just figured out what you meant. My sister's HP laptops (she has 2, one is hers and one is ostensibly a client's) are running Win7/Pro so there is no need for England thinking...'-}}

This refurb'd laptop is for me to play on to actually learn about Win8.1 and may--please, please, please...no!--be supplied to said sister only if absolutely necessary. My intent is to make it look as much like Win7 as is possible so that I won't gag every time it's booted and if it does become necessary to give to my sister, the change would be as seamlessly transparent as is possible for a different laptop.

The 2 Win8.1/Pro CD's arrived today with (fingers well crossed) valid numbers. I had decided to order these as a just-in-case sort of backup and then as I was perusing ebay, I thought to take a look for an inexpensive 8.1/Pro laptop to play with and that should arrive on Monday. My thinking is that the CD's might be used to move my sister's current laptops from Win7 to Win8.1 if needed--a fate I have my fingers crossed won't be needed...'-}}

Terrie
Old 01-04-2020, 12:00 PM   #7
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Can Win10 be that much worse than Win8? Somehow I missed Win8 altogether, go figure.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2020, 12:36 PM   #8
Bo Aakerstrom

Using Windows 10 is in itself not a bad experience. It is the privacy, or lack thereof, the failed updates, and the adverts for Microsoft products and services.

None of which are issues on any Linux distribution.

Old 01-04-2020, 12:40 PM   #9
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Can Win10 be that much worse than Win8?
Oh hell YES!

Win10 = NO user control of updates and, as Bo notes, invasions of privacy and all sorts of other crap. I read somewhere that Win8/8.1 is Win7 with the metrocrap overlay. I hope to mitigate any and all metro crap...

I have an old Sony Vaio laptop with XP that I'm tidying up before likely trashing--don't know of anyone who wants the hardware. I miss XP...it was a lovely O/S.

Terrie
Old 01-04-2020, 12:41 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
bo: None of which are issues on any Linux distribution.
Perzackly...'-}}

Terrie