DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > General Publishing Topics

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-31-2019, 07:58 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Picasa 3

Google stopped supporting Picasa image manager four years ago, and I finally get around to using it as it's supposed to be used, sort of. I never liked it before because what I actually wanted was a file manager that is good with photos. Not a photo manager with limited file management abilities. But I've become interested in face recognition so I loaded Picasa and let it explore well beyond the usual default folders. And it does find faces. I now have a gallery of thumbnail faces that were extracted by from many photos. For example, a girl that was sitting next to my grandmother back when my grandmother was 14 years old. I didn't expect it to extract and display faces from photos, but it does.

Now, my main interest was face matching face recognition. It was willing to do that if I manually assigned a name to a face. Then it would attempt to find other pictures of the same person. Which sort of worked and is useful.

Now, supposedly Microsoft's photo tool can do this it's probably in the MS store which is dead to me and is keeping all MS software from working.