DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 10-09-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Weird Keyboard Problem

Yesterday the following keys stopped working on my computer:s,d,g,j,q. And they seemed to not all go out at once. A couple hours ago they started working. I all at once. And there was no event that accompanied this. It all came back as I was trying to type something

Now, as I type this they are starting to fail again. And I am back to using the Window on-screen keyboard to finish this message.

I searched the Internet for intermittent problems that affect only certain keys, including viruses. I found nothing helpful.

Last edited by Andrew B.; 10-10-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 11:36 AM   #2
terrie
Staff

How weird...I'd say the keyboard is failing and giving you warning and it's time to buy a new one. Oh wait! Is this a laptop keyboard? If so, then maybe it might be fluffy-gunky-ness in the keyboard--might be true also of a regular keyboard--and I'd suggest vacuuming the keyboard to see if that might help.

It's amazing the amount of crud that accumulates under/in/around the keys on the keyboard. One of my sisters' old Dell laptops had a wonky key and when I popped the key off, it was pretty yucky under there. I had thought I was going to have to order a new key (the "H" key) but when rooting around online, I found a nifty site that not only sells individual keyboard keys but also has videos are how to replace keys. I found the one specific to that particular Dell and it was just a matter of fiddling with the anchoring bits to get them back into alignment and bingo...fixed the key...'-}}

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 01:52 PM   #3
Andrew B.
Staff

I popped off a few of the chiclet key caps, and I was surprised how clean they are. No gunk at all. Maybe because the computer is only 1 1/2 years old.

Can you find again that place you bought your keys from?

FWIW, How to replace Toshiba Satellite L40 L40-A L40D Keyboard. One odd thing in the video is there are two translucent tabs on the keyboard sides near the ESC and DEL keys. They are there before and after. Computers keyboards don't have those. Makes me wonder.

Old 10-09-2015, 05:55 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Here you go: Laptop Key Replacement and then search for your laptop. Which one is yours--the L40 or L40-A or L40D?--and I'll root round for you.

Actually...it's very funny that it's a Toshiba because in today's Washington Post, there an semi-funny article on Toshiba's and keyboard keys that you might find enlightening...'-}}

"Welcome to my consumer nightmare. And welcome to the fact that there’s nothing as limited as the limited warranty that one of the world’s best-known consumer electronics companies offers to customers like me who naively expect it to stand behind what it sells.

The company is Toshiba. The nightmare involves the tiny +/= plastic keycap that you see in the picture accompanying this column. When that cap fell off my Toshiba Satellite laptop shortly after I bought it, I figured that I wouldn’t have a problem because the computer came with a one-year warranty.

Foolish me."

He ended up having to pay--out of his own pocket--$250 to get it fixed which I think it just absurd because I suspect that he could have gotten an individual key from the link above and/or a new keyboard for way less than that.

I hope you have better luck...
Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks. I have a Toshiba Satellite L40-A. But after looking at what they have there, I don't think it will help. What they sell for my computer is hinge an chiclet key. In testing here, I've removed the key and pressed the plunger by hand. It goes in and out okay, but no letter appears on the screen.

Old 10-10-2015, 08:35 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

It really sounds like there is some sort of glitch in the "power transmission" between individual keys and/or the entire keyboard. I wonder if you could find info on the laptop's schematics so you could see where the keyboard connects--maybe it's that connection that is the problem? If I'm remembering my search of Toshiba's website at all correctly, finding that sort of thing is going to be a bitch and a half and you might better spend your time contacting a decent local repair shop to see what they'd charge you to take a look and perhaps replace the entire keyboard.

If you want to try to replace the entire keyboard yourself, their companion site carries the Toshiba Satellite L40-A keyboard--this is the black one--for $64.88 and they have installation instructions and (I think) a video...

Let me know what you find/decide...

Terrie
Old 10-15-2015, 05:36 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Thanks for the resource. I was waiting for a reply from the Toshiba forum, but it looks like I won't get one. Now I am pondering a USB keyboard. I could use one anyway so I can place the keyboard away from screen (hard to explain this in more detail). Then I can also use it as a backup if something goes wrong when I replace the real keyboard. But then I give up a USB port, and with the way they are arranged, make it hard to plug into the remaining one.

Old 10-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

A USB keyboard sounds really practical...let me know how it goes...

It's annoying when the maker's own forums are useless...

Terrie
Old 10-18-2015, 03:20 PM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Have you considered a WiFi or Bluetooth connected keyboard and mouse pair? You can also get a keypad and other features on an independent keyboard which I would find useful. I hate touchpads .....

But I don't use my hybrid tablet/laptop enough to justify additional hardware but if I did I would certainly do it for home use to avoid the bad positioning of the keyboard, although as I write it occurs to me that my hybrid where the keyboard and tablet separate might work with those plug in adapters and something to prop up the screen. It is 11.6 which is much more useable than 10 in.

It's an ASUS T200 with 4GB of RAM and 64GB storage plus room for a standard HDD/SSD in the keyboard base. I'm not sure if they still make it or just do the 10, too small but good for portability, and the 13 in better size but awkward for portability

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
Have you considered a WiFi or Bluetooth connected keyboard and mouse pair?
Yes, I had ordered the Logitech Wireless Combo MK270 because it claims to have a small mouse. This was a risk because the last Logitech mouse I bought had their new microratchet technology, which made it unusable for me. But I took a chance. A now Amazon told me they canceled my order because it's out of stock, even though their site says it's not.