DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > How to Use the Forum

Old 08-18-2007, 06:08 AM   #1
CarlSeiler

Default Difficulty replying to posts

I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I've been getting intermittently this message from the server here in the forum:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /bb/newreply.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
CarlSeiler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 07:07 AM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
I don't know if this has been addressed elsewhere, but I've been getting intermittently this message from the server here in the forum:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /bb/newreply.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.
No one else has mentioned this, and it doesn’t happen to me, in either my admin or regular identity.

However, Wednesday and Thursday the server was misbehaving, and several of us had odd problems — slow response, brief downtime, etc. Maybe your problem is related to that.

How often does it happen? Does it happen in more than one browser? Or after you restart your browser?

If we can pin this down (others experiencing the same thing, frequency, etc.), I will look into it.

Old 08-18-2007, 07:34 AM   #3
iamback

I've seen it (404) occasionally, but not recently. I recognize the symptom - can't tell the cause.

I did have problems reaching the site for day or so this week, and just gave it a rest - the next day it was resolved

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I did have problems reaching the site for day or so this week, and just gave it a rest - the next day it was resolved
That was my experience. We have already discussed it with the host, and if it happens again, we will be shifted to a different server.

Since Thursday night, things have been fine (to my knowledge, anyway).

Old 08-18-2007, 10:16 AM   #5
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
That was my experience. We have already discussed it with the host, and if it happens again, we will be shifted to a different server.
I tried repeatedly to post a reply in the thread on "Why all the grey text?" And I got the response I posted in my original message each time. I tried both the quick reply and the full editor, even when I click on "Preview Post." All gave me that error, even since I've been able to post in other threads. I just tried it again and got the same error, even though this is a reply and it looks like it is going to go through.

Carl
Old 08-18-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlSeiler View Post
I tried repeatedly to post a reply in the thread on "Why all the grey text?" And I got the response I posted in my original message each time. I tried both the quick reply and the full editor, even when I click on "Preview Post." All gave me that error, even since I've been able to post in other threads. I just tried it again and got the same error, even though this is a reply and it looks like it is going to go through.
Sorry to hear this. If I hate anything, it is intermittent problems.

Next time that happens, will you open a different browser and try again? I need more information about this.

Old 08-18-2007, 01:59 PM   #7
Michael Rowley

KT:

Quote:
If I hate anything, it is intermittent problems
It happens whenever the forum has been closed down (which is seldom) and those rejoining it have forgotten to log on and attempted to post anything themselves. It's easily recognized, but many of us are unobservant and seldom notice whether there's a a welcome notice up on the right.

Old 08-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #8
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
KT:
It happens whenever the forum has been closed down (which is seldom) and those rejoining it have forgotten to log on and attempted to post anything themselves. It's easily recognized, but many of us are unobservant and seldom notice whether there's a a welcome notice up on the right.
I don't think that's the case for me in this particular instance. I was able to post a reply in one section, go to another section immediately, then get the error.

Carl
Old 08-19-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley View Post
It's possible that happens, but I don't think that's what Carl is referring to here, and certainly not what I've occasionally have seen as well (exact same symptoms, absolutely nothing to do with being logged in or not). Something else is causing these intermittent 403s and 404s - the question is what. Can't dig into it until it happens again...

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2007, 05:14 PM   #10
CarlSeiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Next time that happens, will you open a different browser and try again? I need more information about this.
Seems to be very reproducible. I'm able to reply on ever thread except that one. I just encountered it in Firefox when I tried once more to post a reply. I immediately fired up K-Meleon, logged into the forum and tried to post from it. I got the same error message. Then I whipped out Opera, and again the exact same thing.

Carl