DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 01-03-2008, 11:43 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Mac users, please help

I have been poking around the Philadelphia Revenue Department web site, and I will be sending some suggestions along to them. For one suggestion, I would like some help from the Mac users here. Please go to the following page:
http://www.phila.gov/revenue/Real_Estate_Tax.html

and use the line “Click here to print payment coupon” and see if you get results. In Firefox and Safari I get the following page:

https://ework.phila.gov/revenue/browser.htm

Of course, I am using Windows XP, so I don’t know what Mac users get. This is one more instance of the general rule, use Microsoft Internet Explorer, or else, don’t bother with our site.

If any forum members want to tell the webmaster otherwise, write to webissues@phila.gov and tell them to allow Safari and Firefox.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:22 PM   #2
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

I got the redirect page that says they only support IE 5 or higher.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:27 PM   #3
dthomsen8

Default Mac users unwelcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc View Post
I got the redirect page that says they only support IE 5 or higher.
So Mac users are unwelcome, as I expected. Yes, I know that Mac users can download and install a version of MS IE, but why should they? Maybe sites like this one make them do it, even though they rarely want to use MS IE.
Old 01-03-2008, 12:30 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Like Ann, I get the redirect, with a link to the current version of IE.

It is bad enough when regular citizens elect to shut out a sizable minority of the web-using public — it is outrageous when a government agency does it. Equal access laws, anyone?

I would complain, but doubt they care much about the travails of non-residents. But everyone in Philadelphia ought to tell them.

Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
So Mac users are unwelcome, as I expected. Yes, I know that Mac users can download and install a version of MS IE, but why should they? Maybe sites like this one make them do it, even though they rarely want to use MS IE.
Until recently Mac users got MSIE with the OS, but it was not installed on this new machine, so I guess even Microsoft and Apple finally recognize the insanity of supplying customers with a really out-of-date browser. (The highest version for the Mac is 5.2-ish.)

Old 01-03-2008, 12:57 PM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Please complain anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
Like Ann, I get the redirect, with a link to the current version of IE.

It is bad enough when regular citizens elect to shut out a sizable minority of the web-using public — it is outrageous when a government agency does it. Equal access laws, anyone?

I would complain, but doubt they care much about the travails of non-residents. But everyone in Philadelphia ought to tell them.
KT, They can't tell you live outside Philadelphia, and even if you live out of state, they won't be bothered to look up whether you own real estate here.

Please go ahead and complain: webissues@phila.gov and revenue@phila.gov and tell them to allow for Mac users.

Ann, are you reading this? They don't know you are in Australia! Feel free to complain.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default MS IE For MAC

MS IE for Mac is still available. Microsoft doesn't support it, it is way back at version 5.2.3, but that would work with those web sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else. Firefix once had a place to complain about sites that don't take it, but I don't know if they still do that.

Anyway, I suspect that only real techies like yourself bother to get the old MS IE for the Mac any more, and that is why every Mac user should complain to sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
MS IE for Mac is still available. Microsoft doesn't support it, it is way back at version 5.2.3, but that would work with those web sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else.
Actually, I’m not sure it still runs. I semi-remember setting it aside a few OS updates ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
… every Mac user should complain to sites that insist on MS IE and nothing else.
I sort of agree, and I do do it when I have time and think there is any chance it might help, but it does get discouraging, and the responses, when there are any, are usually hostile.

Old 01-03-2008, 01:53 PM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Okay, okay! I complained. Let’s see if I get any sort of response.

Old 01-04-2008, 06:02 AM   #10
Benwiggy

You can set Safari to fool websites into thinking it's a PC running IE, by activating the Debug menu and then setting the appropriate preferences.

defaults write com.apple.Safari IncludeDebugMenu 1
Benwiggy is offline   Reply With Quote