DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Design

Old 01-18-2006, 10:24 PM   #1
dacoyle

Location: Arlington, VA (across the river from Washington, DC)
Default OK, I'm doing it free again. Comments?

http://www.sallybaird.org/

The logo and candidate photo are temporary; the content doesn't exist yet, so don't event try the links.

Old 01-19-2006, 12:09 AM   #2
Richard Waller

You are not giving us much to go on. Need street address (and country) and phone on homepage. Top item sould be the name of the site and keywords in a nice text sentence for the search engine reference. You should not have so much text in a lump - break it up with punchy sub headings. Text is too wide for easy reading.

Otherwise you are doing a good job!

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 01:24 AM   #3
Kelvyn
Staff

Free again?? Once you get a reputation for free it can keep you busy for years for no reward.

I like the layout and the colours. Text runs too wide, but I'm sure you will sort that when content is introduced. The round image above Get Involved needs its edge sorting out.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 02:42 AM   #4
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

A few things aren't lining up. If you are going to use a graphic for the text in 'Sally Baird...', then you need to make sure the 'Arlington School Board' is the same width as 'Sally Baird'.

The Home tab should line up with the left-hand border of the text area. It looks as if it's meant to, but doesn't.

And the circular photo in the top right sort of lines up and sort of doesn't, so looks a bit messy. It's a bit out-of-place with all the hard rectangles around it, too.

Old 01-19-2006, 05:50 AM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle
Since so much is place-holding, it’s hard to know what to comment on. The general layout seems good.

I do not think I would ever think of mixing that lilac color with navy blue! Green, maybe, but not blue.

I realize you will replace the candidate photo — try to find one where she looks straight at the viewer. There is something sly and unreliable-looking in that upward-looking image.

And again, you mean to replace it, but typographically: Make sure the space between first and last name is minimal.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:04 AM   #6
dthomsen8

Default Free may lead to paid work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
Free again?? Once you get a reputation for free it can keep you busy for years for no reward.
Ah, but free work may lead to paid work. I got to do a paid civic association web site from doing my own neighborhood web site. Now I am redoing my own neighborhood web site with DW 2004.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:07 AM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Where is this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacoyle

The logo and candidate photo are temporary; the content doesn't exist yet, so don't event try the links.
Richard Waller is right, include the address information on the home page.

While you and I know that this Arlington is in Virginia, the search engines don't know that, and those searching on Arlington want the one in their state. Local sites that leave me in the dark about where they are an annoyance. Some of them don't even let me know that they are in a different country.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 08:26 AM   #8
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
You are not giving us much to go on. Need street address (and country) and phone on homepage. Top item sould be the name of the site and keywords in a nice text sentence for the search engine reference. You should not have so much text in a lump - break it up with punchy sub headings. Text is too wide for easy reading.

Otherwise you are doing a good job!
Richard,

There is no address, but I'll be adding a PO box and phone number once that information is available.

Still playing with the white space for the text. Should be easier once I have real content.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:28 AM   #9
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn

I like the layout and the colours. Text runs too wide, but I'm sure you will sort that when content is introduced. The round image above Get Involved needs its edge sorting out.
Kelvyn,

I may not be financially rewared, but I get deep satisfaction out of this volunteering. And it's better than stuffing envelopes or making phone calls. ;->

I didn't put much time into the edges of the current photo because I know I'm not going to be using that image. It's the only pic I had of Sally while working on the draft. If she can't find a better one to use, she'll go to a professional photographer for a portrait.

Old 01-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #10
dacoyle

Quote:
Originally Posted by annc
A few things aren't lining up. If you are going to use a graphic for the text in 'Sally Baird...', then you need to make sure the 'Arlington School Board' is the same width as 'Sally Baird'.

The Home tab should line up with the left-hand border of the text area. It looks as if it's meant to, but doesn't.

And the circular photo in the top right sort of lines up and sort of doesn't, so looks a bit messy. It's a bit out-of-place with all the hard rectangles around it, too.
Ann, see my original note. The images are temporary. I have a professional graphic artist (also volunteering for free) working on the final versions. Current images are just place holders so the GA can see what I need.

Good catch on the lining of the first tab. I tweaked the CSS before I left for work. I'm still working on white space for the text. I think I need to add one more ID; the bodycontent ID sets the margin for the white text area, but I think if I add more white space for the text I don't want the right-side background color wider... will play around with it tonight. It would be SO much easier with real content... but the candidate has 3 million other things on her mind...