DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Design

Old 09-21-2007, 01:58 PM   #1
BobRoosth

Default Preparing text for ID

Working in Windows and with ID CS, not CS2 or 3. When I import Word files, I can either discard all formatting, or keep all. I'd prefer to keep only bold and italic, discarding fonts and sizes.

Does anyone have a workflow that keeps the one and discards the other?

I have Word macro that pretty well cleans up the mish-mash most folk make of test, but this one escapes me.

Perhaps I need to expand the macro to turn this material into ID tagged text, but I suspect the tables would be a killer.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 05:16 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRoosth View Post
Working in Windows and with ID CS, not CS2 or 3. When I import Word files, I can either discard all formatting, or keep all. I'd prefer to keep only bold and italic, discarding fonts and sizes.

Does anyone have a workflow that keeps the one and discards the other?

I have Word macro that pretty well cleans up the mish-mash most folk make of test, but this one escapes me.

Perhaps I need to expand the macro to turn this material into ID tagged text, but I suspect the tables would be a killer.
Speaking from a dim past, using PageMaker (but it should be relevant): I used to select bold and italic and convert them so that the terms were surrounded by special characters. Then I would save the whole mess as plain text, change the special characters to PM tags (ID tags, in your case), then place the file in a new document in which the styles were set to convert those tags to styles.

As I say, it has been a while, but it was not a big deal. And in the process I got rid of all the other junk that accumulates in Word files (which is what my clients usually sent me).

Sorry about my lack of precision; it has been a while.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:02 PM   #3
marlene
Staff

Sorry I didnt see your message sooner -- this is an issue that is near and dear to my heart.

I have been struggling for years to figure out the best way to import Word files into InDesign, and haven't found a bulletproof method yet.

I'm using CS2 -- does CS not have the option to discard styles but keep "overrides" (bold and italics) when importing?

I have actually considering plunking down the money (I think it's like $400) for the plug-in that allows you to import text with Quark tags into InDesign. My Word macros insert Quark tags for bolds, italics, bullets, em dashes, etc. and those import just fine into Quark.

If I could just figure out InDesign tags (which seem obscure and complicated), I could probably edited my macros to include InDesign tags instead of Quark tags ...

mxh
marlene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
BobRoosth

CS does not support keeping overrides only. If that was added to CS2, then I should proceed to upgrade to CS3. I seem to recall there being another feature or two in CS2 that I wanted. At present, this is my only job in ID, so spending more on software is not high priority.

At least you have confirmed that I am not crazy..... Thanks.
BobRoosth is offline   Reply With Quote