DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2023, 08:18 PM   #1
woody649
Member
 
woody649's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 480
Default Greenstreet Publisher

Back in the halcyon days of MS-DOS I used to use a wonderfully affordable and very capable "pro-sumer" grade DTP program called Publish-It! In the U.S. it was sold by a company called Timeworks, but the program actually came from the U.K. I always thought it had died off with the advent of Windows 95.


To my amazement, I just learned that the program lived on until very recently, last known as Greenstreet Publisher 4.6 and reported to run under Windows 10. I did books in Publish-It!. I've given up trying to do book-length books in Microsoft Publisher, so if I could find a copy of Greenstreet Publisher 4.6 I would love to give it a try.


http://www.electric-software.co.uk/pub4web.htm


Has anyone encountered it? Does anyone have a clue where I can get my grubby mitts on a copy?

Last edited by Andrew B.; 06-19-2023 at 10:23 PM.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2023, 10:34 PM   #2
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,592
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody649 View Post
Back in the halcyon days of MS-DOS I used to use a wonderfully affordable and very capable "pro-sumer" grade DTP program called Publish-It! In the U.S. it was sold by a company called Timeworks, but the program actually came from the U.K. I always thought it had died off with the advent of Windows 95.


To my amazement, I just learned that the program lived on until very recently, last known as Greenstreet Publisher 4.6 and reported to run under Windows 10. I did books in Publish-It!. I've given up trying to do book-length books in Microsoft Publisher, so if I could find a copy of Greenstreet Publisher 4.6 I would love to give it a try.


http://www.electric-software.co.uk/pub4web.htm


Has anyone encountered it? Does anyone have a clue where I can get my grubby mitts on a copy?
Sorry, Mac-only here.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 02:02 AM   #3
Barrie Greed
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Stringston, Somerset,UK
Posts: 236
Default

Woody


It is available for £8.99 on Amazon UK.


Barrie Greed
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2023, 06:04 AM   #4
woody649
Member
 
woody649's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Greed View Post
Woody


It is available for £8.99 on Amazon UK.


Barrie Greed

Does that link show a price for you? I found that last night but, for me (in the U.S.) it says "Currently unavailable" and they don't know when or if it may be back in stock.


I may have to bite the bullet, install Affinity Publisher, and see if I can set up a template for book-length projects.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 03:16 AM   #5
Barrie Greed
Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Stringston, Somerset,UK
Posts: 236
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody649 View Post
Does that link show a price for you? I found that last night but, for me (in the U.S.) it says "Currently unavailable" and they don't know when or if it may be back in stock.


I may have to bite the bullet, install Affinity Publisher, and see if I can set up a template for book-length projects.

Here is a screenshot of what I see from the UK. Note the platform says VISTA.






Barrie Greed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	amazon-publisher4-6.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	2152  
Barrie Greed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 03:47 AM   #6
woody649
Member
 
woody649's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 480
Default

Yes, it says for Vista but I have found reviews that said it works under Windows 10. Which doesn't matter if I can't buy it.

And I suppose if I try to be sensible about it (although what's the fun in that?), I don't really need a desktop publishing program. I have done multiple books using nothing other than Microsoft Word and Windows Paint, and they came out just fine. I've even done books for other people using Word.

I did give Affinity Publisher a try. As far as I'm concerned, it's unsuitable for book-length publications. I used an existing manuscript with chapter breaks properly formatted to begin on the next odd-numbered page. The manuscript imported into Affinity Publisher, but Publisher completely ignored the chapter breaks. That's a deal-breaker, for me. I'm extremely disappointed.


Here's what I see for Greenstreet Publisher 4.6:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Greenstreet_4.6_Amazon_UK.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	341.8 KB
ID:	2153  
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 04:33 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff
 
Andrew B.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Los Angeles, California
Posts: 4,353
Default

What's wrong with these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124341251789?


https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/192815960190

   
__________________
fallberry.com
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2023, 06:39 PM   #8
woody649
Member
 
woody649's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post

Nothing! Thanks.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2023, 05:52 PM   #9
woody649
Member
 
woody649's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 480
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post

For better or for worse, I just ordered the one listed for £7.95. As I expected, the shipping will be twice the cost of the item. Final cost to me will be $31 and change. It's projected for arrival around 7 July. It should be interesting.


Thank you, Andrew, for finding it.


Meanwhile, I'll see if I can study up on Scribus while I wait for Greenstreet Publisher to arrive.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2023, 10:34 AM   #10
woody649
Member
 
woody649's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 480
Default

Update: Greenstreet Publisher 4.6 arrived in the mail yesterday. It's an actual CD (or DVD), arriving in a plastic book-like container similar to what video DVDs used to come in. I haven't installed it yet, because I don't know if it will be restricted to one machine and I don't know which machine I want it one.


I'll provide a report when I have installed it and given it a test run.
woody649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 01:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2019 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.