DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 10-12-2008, 06:00 AM   #1
dthomsen8

Default WinXP System Registry Fixers

Ten System Registry Fixers

While fixing some problems with my older WinXP Pro computer, I could see numerous problems in the system registry. For example, there were several programs that are no longer installed. The registry is huge, 71 Mb as a .REG backup. There are both free and paid registry fixers. Ten of them are reviewed in the link above.

Another and older magazine review said that they tested 6 registry fixers. Every one found hundreds of problems to fix, but no two of them found any given problem together.

I am also leary of free programs in this category. There might be more harm than good, especially if the registry were corrupted somehow and then I was unable to boot. Making a .REG backup is all very well, but if unable to boot, using it is not so easy.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these fixers?
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 06:47 AM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8 View Post
Ten System Registry Fixers...
My take: don't use any such tool unless you know your way around the Registry even when woken up in the middle of the night.

An entry for software that's no longer installed doesn't cause any harm - it just takes up a couple of bytes of space.

I don't see why you would be leery of free software - it is often just as good or better than software you pay for. Quality and security have absolutely nothing to do with price.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 07:27 AM   #3
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
My take: don't use any such tool unless you know your way around the Registry even when woken up in the middle of the night.

An entry for software that's no longer installed doesn't cause any harm - it just takes up a couple of bytes of space.

I don't see why you would be leery of free software - it is often just as good or better than software you pay for. Quality and security have absolutely nothing to do with price.
I am cautious about this kind of software, but maybe not quite so cautious as you are.

As for free software, I suspect that some of it can introduce viruses or other malware undetected. That's why I look for reviews of such software, and for experience with it here in DTP forum.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #4
iamback

Quote:
As for free software, I suspect that some of it can introduce viruses or other malware undetected. That's why I look for reviews of such software, and for experience with it here in DTP forum.
So can paid-for software, and hardware! *) There is nothing about "free" that increases your risk.

*) The latest: ASUS Eee Box shipped with malware.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
I have used Registry Clean Expert for over 2 years now on my main XP box with no untoward effects. I originally tried it when the system seemed to be getting slower and slower. After the first run there was a noticeable speed improvment so I bought it and have used it every couple of weeks since.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 05:51 PM   #6
Hugh Wyn Griffith

The general consensus over in the Windows support forums on Compuserve where I'm still active is that cleaning up the registry causes more problems than it cures. Don't try to second-guess Windows -- even it doesn't know what it's doing .....

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 06:14 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Wyn Griffith View Post
The general consensus over in the Windows support forums on Compuserve where I'm still active is that cleaning up the registry causes more problems than it cures. Don't try to second-guess Windows -- even it doesn't know what it's doing .....
Registry Clean Expert is in use by Kelvyn, and he doesn't report any problems. Reading their website, I learn that the product provides registry backup and restore services, control over startup programs, and it allows the user to decide which problems it is asked to correct.

That sounds good to me, and besides, Kelvyn usually knows a lot about what works and what doesn't, or is risky. There is a fifteen day free trial, so I may try it out.

I did not know that Compuserve forums have continued.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:59 PM   #8
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

"Don't try to second-guess Windows -- even it doesn't know what it's doing ....."

I think you have a T-shirt design there, Hugh. ;-)

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 08:39 AM   #9
Hugh Wyn Griffith

Quote:
Registry Clean Expert is in use by Kelvyn, and he doesn't report any problems. ..... and besides, Kelvyn usually knows a lot about what works and what doesn't, or is risky. There is a fifteen day free trial, so I may try it out.

I did not know that Compuserve forums have continued.
Yes but what about the simple minded user like me who does not know what works .... ? They are the people who usually use cleaners because they believe the popups etc.

Yes Compuserve is still there and doing a good job in the Forums for certain areas. You no longer have to pay to use it.

Hugh
Hugh Wyn Griffith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2008, 11:45 PM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Registry Clean Expert is in use by Kelvyn, and he doesn't report any problems.
You should qualify that with "in his hands".

You really need to know enough about how the registry works (and how some programs use the registry!) to use any of these products safely.

One little test question: Do you know how file associations work?

15 days is ample time to render a system inoperable.