DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 06-13-2007, 08:42 AM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default MaPZone 2.5 (Windows)

Texture creation is often associated with building game interfaces, but texture can also be an important part of website design and graphics for publications.

MaPZone is a free module-based texturing tool from from Allegorithmic. This type of texturing is not easy to learn, but it can be very powerful.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/index.php
Andrew B. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 11:58 PM   #2
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew B. View Post
MaPZone is a free module-based texturing tool from from Allegorithmic. This type of texturing is not easy to learn, but it can be very powerful.

http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/index.php
That looks very interesting! Thanks, I've downloaded already.

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 06:16 AM   #3
iamback

Installed. The installation gave me a bit of a nasty surprise: I knew I was running on low resources, but the installer did not - as most installers do - ask me if it should launch the application. I was dismayed to find that it did launch it - immediately creating havoc on my desktop by requiring too much video resources. I managed to get out of that with TaskManager, and found that although I didn't see any MZ window, it was sitting in memory! So, negative points.

Once I'd closed down more apps for a graceful shutdown, and rebooted, I started it up. One of the choices was "learning", and I picked one of the examples. I was expecting something like a tutorial walkthrough, but actually the "learning" items are complete projects that you can explore and change, and there is a lot of help available by clicking and right-clicking. Certainly not easy to get the hang of, but I found it an interesting method to provide a way to learn about an application! One that I've never seen before.

So, I clicked and right-clicked and deleted and changed and added, and saved (as a new project, it turned out), and finally found how to save the result as a bitmap - fully tiling, of course. I am totally not in control yet after (let alone during!) this first exploration, but I ended up with a - to me - pleasant result, so I wanted to attach it here - it's too large (1MB)! So, I made a 256-color variation (8-bit PNG) of the original True Color (32-bit) one: the pixels are not any different in this one! To keep in the spirit of the program: free for all to use. Enjoy.

I think this program is going to be a keeper, in spite of the nasty installation surprise.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	marble_variation_c256.png
Views:	110
Size:	191.8 KB
ID:	946  

iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
Installed. The installation gave me a bit of a nasty surprise
I'm glad your perseverance paid off. When I first started reading your message, I was worried that it might have trashed your computer.

Quote:
I think this program is going to be a keeper, in spite of the nasty installation surprise.
I'm glad this looks promising. And thanks for the texture.

BTW, you probably spotted this, but I'll post it anyway. Here are some more tutorials: http://www.mapzoneeditor.com/index.p...Zone2Tutorials
Andrew B. is online now   Reply With Quote