DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Old 02-12-2009, 08:09 AM   #1
EllenD

Default Trouble with packaged fonts

Hello, could some one please explain to me how to use a font that is not loaded on your machine, but is packaged with the inDesign file? I recently received design files but am unable to figure out how to utilize the fonts the designer sent. (I know this is an elementary issue, but I can't remember how to do it)
EllenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
don Arnoldy
Curmudgeon

Ellen-

Essential, you have to install the font on your machine. How to do that depends on how you answer a few of questions:
1. what O/S are you using?
2. Is your customer using the same O/S?
3. What format is the font—.ps, .ttf, .otf?
4. Are you running any font management software?

--don

Old 02-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #3
Michael Rowley

Ellen:
Quote:
please explain to me how to use a font that is not loaded on your machine, but is packaged with the inDesign file
You don't say what OS you are using, and what version of InDesign, but if you're using Windows, you instal the font file in Windows\Fonts. Mac OS 10 requires somewhat different treatment, because it keeps font files in several places.

Old 02-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
EllenD

Thank you, Don and Michael, for your responses. I am using Windows XP Pro, but I'm guessing that the designer is using a Mac (I use a Mac at home for my design needs, but use a Windows PC at work) and I am using CS3. I've tried just dragging and dropping the fonts from the package CD into my font folder (both the sytem and InDesign font folders), but I get a message telling me that it is unable to install them due to them being damaged or corrupt. I don't have a font manager on this machine (nor does this machine have anything other than standard Windows fonts and fonts associated with CS3, from the look of it). The font files on the CD only have "file" listed as their type. One actually says T1 file, but even it wouldn't install without the error message. Thanks for your help!

Ellen
Old 02-12-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
Thank you, Don and Michael, for your responses. I am using Windows XP Pro, but I'm guessing that the designer is using a Mac (I use a Mac at home for my design needs, but use a Windows PC at work). I've tried just dragging and dropping the fonts from the package CD into my font folder, but I get a message telling me that it is unable to install them due to them being damaged or corrupt.
Ah. Windows (current versions, anyway) could use Mac OpenType fonts, I think, but not plain old Type 1 or TrueType.

Going the other way is easier: A Mac running OS X can use Windows TT fonts and OT fonts in general.

The officially sanctioned solution is for your company to purchase licenses to all the fonts you need to work on the files — the same typeface, font, format as your designer used to produce the file. Or, alternatively, ask the designer to purchase licenses matching the fonts you have in-house. But unless your company is a seriously important client, few designers will be willing to eat that expense.

Legally neither you nor the designer can share font files; you are both supposed to buy your own licenses. Not so unreasonable if you have ongoing relationships and/or use only a narrow library of fonts — otherwise quite expensive.

What are you doing with the files? If you are just having them output, you could ask the designer to provide print-ready PDFs with fonts embedded. Then you should be in good shape.

Old 02-12-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
Michael Rowley

Quote:
The font files on the CD only have "file" listed as their type
Ah, that sounds like a Mac user! Windows forms two font files (with extensions pfb and pfm) out of what it is given if the fonts are the old Type 1 fonts, and although both Windows and the Mac don't need ATM any more, they each need their own special files; if the fonts were OpenType, they would run on either Windows or the Mac, regardless of the flavour, and regardless of the file extension (ttf or otf).

Old 02-13-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
EllenD

Thank you all for your help! So it sounds like my company either needs to purchase the font licenses or I will have to subsitute in a font that is already loaded on my machine, or the designer just needs to use OT fonts. I figured as much. I was just thinking there might have been another option I missed with the packed file. (I'm still getting used to designing on a Windows pc!) Thanks!
Old 02-13-2009, 11:25 AM   #8
Michael Rowley

Ellen:
Quote:
So it sounds like my company either needs to purchase the font licenses or I will have to subsitute in a font that is already loaded on my machine, or the designer just needs to use OT fonts.
The most comfortable solution for you would probably be to use fonts you already have, but all (I think) TrueType and OTF font files have the permissions in them, and many—but not all—allow editing; if they don't allow editing, you'd be better off with a printable PDF file.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:37 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllenD View Post
Thank you all for your help! So it sounds like my company either needs to purchase the font licenses or I will have to subsitute in a font that is already loaded on my machine, or the designer just needs to use OT fonts. I figured as much. I was just thinking there might have been another option I missed with the packed file. (I'm still getting used to designing on a Windows pc!) Thanks!
Good luck. Let us know how it all comes out.

Old 02-20-2009, 02:39 PM   #10
EllenD

Thanks everyone. I went ahead and used the fonts on my PC, but we will be purchasing the fonts that our outside designers most frequently used, so hopefully we won't be experiencing this problem much in the future!