DTP


 
Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web


Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
dthomsen8
Member
 
dthomsen8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Philadelphia, PA 19130
Posts: 2,158
Default Packaging!!!

Yes, I understand that packaging for computer gadgets has to deter theft, but do they really have to be so tough to get into, even with a box knife?

I finally got my Memorex MiniTravelDrive out of the box, along with the instructions, but it was a struggle. The travel strap is still in the package.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
I finally got my Memorex MiniTravelDrive out of the box, along with the instructions, but it was a struggle. The travel strap is still in the package.
It’s not just computer stuff — pill bottles, CD wrappings, even cereal boxes (“to open, slide finger under flap” — yeah, right; the whole thing rips off!).

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #3
Robin Springall
Member
 
Robin Springall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.
Posts: 1,259
Default

LOL! Yes, I quite agree - in my case it was a USB card reader. The packaging was totally wrecked by the time I managed to get the damn thing out, so when I found that it didn't take the XD card that my Mum's camera uses, I couldn't even return it!

Actually, do be careful of this with card readers if you use an XD card: it has the same connector as the SD variety, the same width, but half the length. So you push the thing right into the reader, then try and get it back out!...
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 07:01 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Springall
Actually, do be careful of this with card readers if you use an XD card: it has the same connector as the SD variety, the same width, but half the length. So you push the thing right into the reader, then try and get it back out!...
Oh, yes — I have one of those, too.

Brilliant industrial design, huh?

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #5
Richard Waller
Member
 
Richard Waller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Goring-by-Sea, West Sussex UK
Posts: 732
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
It’s not just computer stuff
Our local grocer delivers to old folk around the village and while unpacking the stuff, loosens the tops of things that the customer is going to have difficulty with. Me? I give it to the dog who tears the wrapping apart with his teeth.

   
__________________
Richard Waller
www.waller.co.uk
www.goring-by-sea.uk.com
Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #6
ktinkel
Founding Sysop
 
ktinkel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.
Posts: 11,187
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
Our local grocer delivers to old folk around the village and while unpacking the stuff, loosens the tops of things that the customer is going to have difficulty with. Me? I give it to the dog who tears the wrapping apart with his teeth.
Not sure which solution has fewer potential problems, but both sound interesting.

Does your dog always stop with the wrapping? Very well-trained dog!

   
__________________
[SIZE=2][COLOR=LemonChiffon]::[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
ktinkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 10:45 AM   #7
Michael Rowley
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Ipswich (the one in England)
Posts: 5,105
Default

'even with a box knife'

Er . . . what is a box knife? (I've heard of a knife box.)

   
__________________
Michael
Michael Rowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:06 PM   #8
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Rowley
'even with a box knife'

Er . . . what is a box knife? (I've heard of a knife box.)
I gather (courtesy of 9/11) that a box cutter or box knife is the American equivalent of a Stanley knife.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #9
Franca
Staff
 
Franca's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Monterey Bay area, CA
Posts: 2,226
Default

Indeed, I regularly complain about packaging these days. However, the worst is that completely sealed, molded hard plastic that computer-related things come in. The only way to get into it is with a dangerously sharp implement. Inevitably I cut it on two or three sides expecting to be able to bend or tear it away to get at the "prize" but the stuff does not bend, and has an edge even more dangerous than the implement used to cut into it. So then I have to cut all the way around the gadget and hope that I can pull the plastic apart without shedding any blood. If somebody knows a better way to get into this type of packaging, please let me know!

   
__________________
..
..Franca

..
Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #10
annc
Sysop
 
annc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea
Posts: 4,503
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Indeed, I regularly complain about packaging these days. However, the worst is that completely sealed, molded hard plastic that computer-related things come in. The only way to get into it is with a dangerously sharp implement. Inevitably I cut it on two or three sides expecting to be able to bend or tear it away to get at the "prize" but the stuff does not bend, and has an edge even more dangerous than the implement used to cut into it. So then I have to cut all the way around the gadget and hope that I can pull the plastic apart without shedding any blood. If somebody knows a better way to get into this type of packaging, please let me know!
I use the kitchen scissors on the plastic itself, but agree about the dangers imposed by the plastic edges afterwards.

And then, if the gadget isn't the right bit at the end of all the effort, you are stuck with it.

   
__________________
annc is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Interesting packaging tool ktinkel Print Design 1 08-18-2006 05:52 PM
TrendWatch on packaging [PR] ktinkel Business Matters 1 04-21-2006 01:51 PM
An insight into packaging design Bo Aakerstrom Print Design 3 03-08-2006 08:12 PM


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Contents copyright 2004–2019 Desktop Publishing Forum and its members.