DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Old 12-29-2005, 04:35 PM   #1
dthomsen8

Default Packaging!!!

Yes, I understand that packaging for computer gadgets has to deter theft, but do they really have to be so tough to get into, even with a box knife?

I finally got my Memorex MiniTravelDrive out of the box, along with the instructions, but it was a struggle. The travel strap is still in the package.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:30 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dthomsen8
I finally got my Memorex MiniTravelDrive out of the box, along with the instructions, but it was a struggle. The travel strap is still in the package.
It’s not just computer stuff — pill bottles, CD wrappings, even cereal boxes (“to open, slide finger under flap” — yeah, right; the whole thing rips off!).

Old 12-30-2005, 07:02 AM   #3
Richard Waller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
It’s not just computer stuff
Our local grocer delivers to old folk around the village and while unpacking the stuff, loosens the tops of things that the customer is going to have difficulty with. Me? I give it to the dog who tears the wrapping apart with his teeth.

Richard Waller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 09:08 AM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Waller
Our local grocer delivers to old folk around the village and while unpacking the stuff, loosens the tops of things that the customer is going to have difficulty with. Me? I give it to the dog who tears the wrapping apart with his teeth.
Not sure which solution has fewer potential problems, but both sound interesting.

Does your dog always stop with the wrapping? Very well-trained dog!

Old 12-30-2005, 01:44 PM   #5
Franca
Staff

Indeed, I regularly complain about packaging these days. However, the worst is that completely sealed, molded hard plastic that computer-related things come in. The only way to get into it is with a dangerously sharp implement. Inevitably I cut it on two or three sides expecting to be able to bend or tear it away to get at the "prize" but the stuff does not bend, and has an edge even more dangerous than the implement used to cut into it. So then I have to cut all the way around the gadget and hope that I can pull the plastic apart without shedding any blood. If somebody knows a better way to get into this type of packaging, please let me know!

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2005, 02:59 PM   #6
annc
Sysop

Location: Subtropical Queensland, Australia, between the mountains and the Coral Sea

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franca
Indeed, I regularly complain about packaging these days. However, the worst is that completely sealed, molded hard plastic that computer-related things come in. The only way to get into it is with a dangerously sharp implement. Inevitably I cut it on two or three sides expecting to be able to bend or tear it away to get at the "prize" but the stuff does not bend, and has an edge even more dangerous than the implement used to cut into it. So then I have to cut all the way around the gadget and hope that I can pull the plastic apart without shedding any blood. If somebody knows a better way to get into this type of packaging, please let me know!
I use the kitchen scissors on the plastic itself, but agree about the dangers imposed by the plastic edges afterwards.

And then, if the gadget isn't the right bit at the end of all the effort, you are stuck with it.

Old 12-30-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
dthomsen8

Default Sealed, molded hard plastic package

Quote:
However, the worst is that completely sealed, molded hard plastic that computer-related things come in.
Franca! Right on! That stuff is the problem that made me start this thread.
dthomsen8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2005, 06:37 AM   #8
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Indeed, I regularly complain about packaging these days. However, the worst is that completely sealed, molded hard plastic that computer-related things come in.
Not quite as bad but equally annoying is the way cryovac meat products are packaged. The seal runs right against the food, so I always end up cutting off the edge of the beef or salami or whatever in order to get the thing to open. Then once it is cut, it curls up leaving grease and ooze everywhere. Makes me very cross.

As far as ordinary stuff is concerned, I keep a single-edge razor blade next to my every working area so I can slit tape and slice stuff that gets in my way. (Including the protective seal on medicine bottles — the only way I know how to get past that is to cut a big criss-cross across and pick off the pieces.)

Old 12-31-2005, 11:53 AM   #9
Franca
Staff

Medicine bottle seals ... I finally determined that the best way to deal with those is to take the "wrong" end of a toothbrush (or other common bathroom implement) and simply punch through them. Same effect as making your cross with the razor blade but so much more gratifying.

Franca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2005, 06:33 PM   #10
Robin Springall

Location: Ealing Common, London W5, where I duplicate CDs and DVDs.

LOL! Yes, I quite agree - in my case it was a USB card reader. The packaging was totally wrecked by the time I managed to get the damn thing out, so when I found that it didn't take the XD card that my Mum's camera uses, I couldn't even return it!

Actually, do be careful of this with card readers if you use an XD card: it has the same connector as the SD variety, the same width, but half the length. So you push the thing right into the reader, then try and get it back out!...
Robin Springall is offline   Reply With Quote