DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > The Corner Pub

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-30-2017, 10:44 AM   #1
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Default VPNs

This might belong in any of several other discussion sections, but since I couldn't decide which was most appropriate, I figured here in "Misc, Sundry, Assorted & Other" would be best.

Now that our Gang of Imbeciles (US legislators) have essentially turned the internet and all of the stuff we do on it over to advertisers and worse, I'm thinking about VPNs.

I've been doing a bit of reading and get the impression that once you've signed up with a VPN provider, you use their software to flip the VPN on or off ... ON and all of your internet traffic goes encrypted through their server(s). OFF and you're back to wherever you were before.

I'd hope (though it's hard to tell from the sites of the providers) that you could have the VPN set to be on or off by default when you start the computer up.

I'd also want to be able to use the VPN from a variety of devices; Windows of various flavors, 7 and onward, MacOS, iPhone, iPad at a minimum.

I suspect that there's going to be a lot more interest in VPNs in the US once The Donald signs this legislation, [mild political rant deleted].

Does anyone have experience with these things? Preferred providers/software, etc?

Oh, I also realize that it's possible to install a VPN client on some routers; that has a lot of appeal. I could then, I suppose, leave the VPN on individual computers turned off when I'm in the home/office. I'd still need it installed for use elsewhere.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote