DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Business Matters

Old 07-23-2008, 12:34 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default Quicken Experts?

Which are the expert Quicken communities. Maybe here? My accounts are so messed up I'm tempted to rename them in Quicken and start fresh with new ones in place of the old ones. Or, start with a new bank and new Quicken?. Which banks can match Bank of A for ability to download transactions and to bill pay on-line?

BTW, I came up with a good one today. I was on the phone with Discover and asked for some information. I was told it is agains their policy to give out partial numbers. I pointed out that it is a partial of one of my numbers, and they routinely ask for those. I was told that their policy forbids them to do so. So I said my policy forbids me from doing business with companies that have "c" as the third letter of their name, but in a world as large as ours, I manage to get over it.

I guess you would have to be there in my pissy mood to appreciate this one.
Andrew B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:19 PM   #2
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Alert Readers will note, however, that "s" is the third letter of their name.

But regardless, anyone who's dealt with a big bank will have been in a pissy enough mood more than often enough to appreciate that one.

I've transferred all the business I can to [hums theme from "Cheers"*] my credit union or local savings and loans.

* For nonUSians
http://www.lyricsondemand.com/tvthem...erslyrics.html

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 01:42 PM   #3
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

You can easily do as you suggest, though I think I would start out fresh. Print out reports from all your old accounts, including check and transaction registers, and save them. Then begin a brand new Quicken file, beginning January 1 (or December 1 of the prior year to pick up outstanding checks more easily).

But I usually do this in January or February, not July. It could be tedious beginning now. You can export your data, of course, then import it to a new Quicken file. Just dump prior years, and begin with 2008. I would print out old check registers, reconciliations, and other reports, and save them with your bank statements. Then start fresh for this year.

As for banks, I’m with Steve: credit union all the way. I don’t know whether ours allows banking by mail, data downloading, etc., because I don’t do that. You could certainly ask. I think any credit union or bank that provides these services these days will be competent at it (but I could be wrong about that). Our credit union offers most banking services; but I have never stress-tested it!

Old 07-23-2008, 02:20 PM   #4
George

I own Quicken and Quick Books because I was told they were the best. But in studying them... well, why does anyone need anything more than Excel?? I just don't get it.

I deal with banks in person. These people have a real attitude where I live... but when I have a problem, I ask to talk to a supervisor, and I use a well thought out approach. It does get results.

A couple months ago, my main bank turned down a request I made, but they were so rude, and as I was driving around it stuck with me. So I drove right back, asked to talk to the supervisor that was involved, and in detail I explained why their behavior had to be considered extremely rude. She was flabbergasted, but she agreed with me and promised to have a special meeting over my comments with all the employees. Then, she said she wanted to honor my original request, without any prompting on my part.

I always get results like this with the entities I'm involved with, and I don't care how often I have to bring up my complaints -- but the key is the approach, knowing key points to bring up. Hmm..a soft low voice helps, and stuff like that...

But many times I will just do a letter, and once I had the manager of the local supermarket respond by driving to my house to personally apologize and discuss the problem in detail. Again, the approach is important.

George
George is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:14 PM   #5
groucho
Staff

Andrew, I notice your thread has been quietly languishing.

Chase, Citibank, and a host of others have good online banking and bill paying. Downloading into Quicken, you'd have to check one by one (call) but I believe both now offer that.

What do you mean by the accounts being all messed up? If you mean the categories within Quicken...That's either a day of retagging every transaction, or just enduring till years-end and then cutting over, starting new. Quicken can be a PITA. I stopped using it when I switched to online banking and stopping printing my own checks from it. Cost of the check, cost of the postage..and sometimes an envelope...

Before Quicken was invented, I kept all my books in a Lotus spreadsheet. Sometimes I think that was a better way to go--it was just not terribly feasible to PRINT CHECKS from Lotus back then, either.<G>
groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Andrew B.
Staff

I used to go to the bank website and trigger a download to Quicken. When I started triggering it from within Quicken, it downloads many of the same items again. Too much work to find and delete.
Old 09-30-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
groucho
Staff

Sounds like either this is a bug, or maybe you are just not supposed to do it "both" ways, because there is no provision for keeping track of what has been transferred one way versus the other?

If you're familiar with Excel, and you can export the Q data out into Excel as a .csv file (that used to be fairly simple) then it should be fairly simple to eliminate any dupes in Excel, that used to be a fairly common macro function to purge lists. One big push, all clean, then reimport into a new Quicken file, or into the old one after deleting 'all' to purge it too.

Depending on what you'll need to do with the data (generate tax prep lists?) it might pay to clean it up, or just to draw a line, take the latest balance, and move on.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:20 PM   #8
Andrew B.
Staff

Interesting. I didn't know I could import to excel and then move back into Quicken. What I did was make an entry that corrects the total, and left it at that. But I'm not happy doing it that way.
Old 10-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #9
groucho
Staff

Yup! http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/ex...346261033.aspx

Basically, you import the data as a list, filter by "unique" only, and the list is purged of all duplicates in one shot, just using the menus.

I hear Excel 2009 will also make a decent cup of coffee, but they can't get the "teapot" functions ported over to the 64-bit version.<VBG>
Old 10-02-2008, 06:11 PM   #10
Andrew B.
Staff

Quicken 2008 Deluxe only exports to QIF. Is there another way to get it to a .csv