DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Old 10-26-2007, 12:47 PM   #1
iamback

Default CMS for migrating/upgrading small site?

As I mentioned before, I'm migrating all my sites to a new VPS system (slowly, being distracted by a lot of needed work for Wikka Wiki ). One smallish site badly needs not only to converted to database-driven, but it needs to be extended as well (not easy with the current system of static HTML building blocks pulled together by PHP).

So, I'd like a simple to use but flexible CMS, PHP/MySQL-based. And definitely Open Source. Of course it has to generate standard valid XHTML (or be easily convertible to do that).

Components I'd need:
  1. articles, and other informational pages; commenting here would be nice
  2. data-base driven information tables (categories on their own pages as well as an all-in-one page)
  3. full-fledged blog/news section, with archiving, commenting, RSS feeds etc.
Current content has only types 1 (to be extended) and 2 (most of the building blocks now); 3 would be new. A form-based feedback should also be easy to integrate.

So... any suggestions for this? I really want some thing that's relatively quick to set up (I'll save the more complicated stuff of another site for Xaraya, but I feel it would be overkill for this site, and not fast enough to set up), and anyway trying out different CMSs for different sites would be good experience.

Suggestions anyone?

Last edited by iamback; 10-27-2007 at 12:25 AM.
iamback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 01:33 PM   #2
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

I do not have your experience or skill, but I have looked at several CMS and blogging programs, and settled (pretty much) on WordPress. I think it would do what you want, but you would have to customize it fairly drastically (or create a custom theme).

One that seemed too techie for me may appeal to you: TextPattern. It is elegant, but I never understood the lingo, and wandered away.

Kelvyn has high regard for Joomla!, which he knows how to make sing and dance. It was not fully standards-compliant when I looked at it, but I understand that is the development team’s objective.

Old 10-26-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
I do not have your experience or skill, but I have looked at several CMS and blogging programs, and settled (pretty much) on WordPress. I think it would do what you want, but you would have to customize it fairly drastically (or create a custom theme).
I have the feeling that Wordpress would be too much "blog" and hard to adapt to the structure I have in mind. I may be wrong, but... I'm not excluding it but think I'll look at more "likely" candidates first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
One that seemed too techie for me may appeal to you: TextPattern. It is elegant, but I never understood the lingo, and wandered away.
I'd never looked at that yet - it certainly looks interesting. I'd have to write something (a plugin?) for the data tables, but I'd have to write something for that in pretty much any CMS. I've poked around a bit in the FAQ and from that it looks like it might do the job. (And I didn't encounter any lingo that seemed unfamiliar. )

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel
Kelvyn has high regard for Joomla!, which he knows how to make sing and dance. It was not fully standards-compliant when I looked at it, but I understand that is the development team’s objective.
I expect Kelvyn to pipe up about that, and I'll have a look anyway. I'm hoping he could tell me how easy it would be to integrate my database-driven data tables, and what amount of work would be needed to make it standards-compliant.

Any other suggestions are welcome, of course.

Old 10-26-2007, 05:20 PM   #4
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Location: In Connecticut, on the Housatonic River near its mouth at Long Island Sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback View Post
I have the feeling that Wordpress would be too much "blog" and hard to adapt to the structure I have in mind. I may be wrong, but... I'm not excluding it but think I'll look at more "likely" candidates first.
That makes good sense to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
I'd never looked at [TextPattern] yet - it certainly looks interesting.
You know, I figured that would resonate with you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamback
I expect Kelvyn to pipe up about [Joomla], and I'll have a look anyway. I'm hoping he could tell me how easy it would be to integrate my database-driven data tables, and what amount of work would be needed to make it standards-compliant.
I would bet so.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:04 AM   #5
Kelvyn
Staff

Quote:
I expect Kelvyn to pipe up about that, and I'll have a look anyway. I'm hoping he could tell me how easy it would be to integrate my database-driven data tables, and what amount of work would be needed to make it standards-compliant.
Joomla! would certainly provide a framework for what you describe. For standards compliance, look at the site of Over&Over which is built using Joomla! 1.5 - still in beta but already being adopted for live sites. The compliance does mainly depend on how the site template is structured and which extra modules (plugins) are used.

The current stable Joomla! version is 1.0.13 and this can produce valid XHTML - see this art gallery site as an example. However, that one does not use additional modules. The menu is in a table, but this can be rewritten as divs - I did not do that to keep within the client's budget. He updates the content himself.

It is the range of plugins that extend Joomla! and can add almost any function. I'm involved with the development of VirtueMart, an OS e-commerce plugin for Joomla! so my mind is focussed on that component at the moment, although I also beta test Joomla! 1.5 You would probably have to play a bit with your content to incorporate it, but this would probably be easier with 1.5 rather than 1.0.13 as the code is cleaner.

If you want to give the latest Joomla! a try you can get the most recent nightly compilation here.

Also you could consider Drupal, which seems to have a less active following. Unfortunately the few Drupal sites I have looked at have had code issues.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #6
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Joomla! would certainly provide a framework for what you describe. For standards compliance, look at the site of Over&Over which is built using Joomla! 1.5 - still in beta but already being adopted for live sites. The compliance does mainly depend on how the site template is structured and which extra modules (plugins) are used.
XHTML: "Failed validation, 14 Errors"... - the CSS is valid. Looks like a lot of knock-on errors though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn
It is the range of plugins that extend Joomla! and can add almost any function.
I'll explore, thanks. (I'm also having a close look at Textpattern now - it looks like plugins are fairly easy to write, in fact not unlike the "actions" mechanism in Wikka Wiki - and if I can't use it for this site I'll very likely be able to use it for another one.) I'll certainly have to write something for those database-driven data tables anyway, so - apart from available plugins - the issue is mainly how easy it is to develop a plugin or new content type for a CMS.

Quote:
If you want to give the latest Joomla! a try you can get the most recent nightly compilation here.
Great, that's very useful.

Quote:
Also you could consider Drupal, which seems to have a less active following. Unfortunately the few Drupal sites I have looked at have had code issues.
I hadn't thought of Drupal, but I'll have a look, thanks. The question would be where the code problems come from, of course, and how easy (or not) it might be to fix. I really don't want to spend a lot of time fixing code - I want to create content and convert what I have!

[But the Drupal home page has fewer validation errors than the Joomla! home page...]

Old 10-28-2007, 05:04 AM   #7
Kelvyn
Staff

Another possibility, although I have never tried it out, may be CMS Made Simple.
I understand they have just released a new version under GPL license.

Web site design, hosting and marketing, Keswick in the UK Lake District

If you are planning a visit to Keswick then try Keswick Tourist Information website

Kelvyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:25 AM   #8
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelvyn View Post
Another possibility, although I have never tried it out, may be CMS Made Simple.
Thanks, I'll have a look. Their home page validates, which is a good start.

Old 10-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #9
ktinkel
Founding Sysop

Quote:
Thanks, I'll have a look. Their home page validates, which is a good start.
CMS Made Simple does seem to live up to its name.

But I am curious about something technical with it (its site, anyway): Everytime I click on a link I see raw HTML for a moment, then the styled page. What might cause that? (Something on my system or something in their software or setup?)

Old 10-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #10
iamback

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktinkel View Post
CMS Made Simple does seem to live up to its name.

But I am curious about something technical with it (its site, anyway): Everytime I click on a link I see raw HTML for a moment, then the styled page. What might cause that? (Something on my system or something in their software or setup?)
Hmm - I tried a few links but I don't see anything of the sort. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.7 What browser are you using? Do you see it with other browsers as well?