DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Print Production & Automation

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-04-2008, 10:34 AM   #1
Ashlie

Default Inconsistent color printing

When I get a proof from my printer, the actual printed pieces are sometimes slightly different. Typically this is not a big deal because it's not that noticeable. However, I have two full color pallet brochures that have really become a nightmare. I adjusted the colors on my end until the actual color proof from my printer was as accurate as possible. Then when we recieved the printed pieces they were a little different and in this case it was a big deal. One of our most popular colors is a dark gray and all the printed pieces came out in various shades of gray tinted green which changes the entire color. So there are two problems: 1. Proof doesn't match final printed piece and 2. There is too much variation in the printed pieces. Solution to #1 could be getting a pre-press proof which should be more accurate since it will come off the actual press. I am open to additional solutions to #1. I don't know what to do to solve #2. How can I get the printer to make sure the color stays consistant on all pieces? The only thing I can think of is to do a press check at every 5000 pieces or so but I don't know if this will even solve the problem. It is my responsibility to make sure these brochures are as accurate as possible so I really need some solutions. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Ashlie is offline   Reply With Quote