|11-17-2012, 11:02 AM||#1|
Join Date: Oct 2004
Windows 7 - copy / duplicate a user profile
In WinXP, it's fairly straightfoward to copy / duplicate a user profile using Control Panel > System > Advanced tab, User Profiles section, Settings via the "Copy To" button. Unfortunately, in Windows 7, the "Copy To" button is only active when the Default profile is highlighted. After searching around quite a bit, I was able to find a way to copy / duplicate a Windows 7 user profile using the WinXP approach. I've only copied Admin level user profile to Admin level user profile but I think one can also copy Standard level user profile to Standard level user profile if one is logged into an Admin level profile while doing the copy/duplicate. I'm going to outline the steps--looks more involved and daunting than it actually is to do--but I've also created a PDF which I've attached.
Windows 7 - How to Copy / Duplicate an Existing User Profile
Many online search results will lead you to a Microsoft page on repairing a corrupt profile but this approach does a (destructive) move of the originating user profile data which essentially destroys that profile (only the AppData\Local folder remains in the originating user profile) so the approach outlined on the Microsoft corrupt profile repair page is NOT recommended.
To use the procedures outlined below, you will need at least 3 user profiles:
1. The originatinguserprofile –the copy-from user profile
2. The receivinguserprofile–the copy-to user profile (see section: II Preliminary 2 Create a New User ccount/Profile)
3. The workinguserprofile–the user profile from which you do the copying (see section: II Preliminary 2 Create a New User Account/Profile)
I. Preliminary 1 - Windows Enabler (free):
Note: This little app will allow you to "activate" (un-grey) the "Copy To" button in Control Panel > System > Advanced System Settings > Advanced tab > User Profiles
1. Download the Windows Enabler 1.1 applicationNote: This link was updated on 2/12/16 because the original link was no longer valid. This softpedia.com link download has been tested and is valid (malware and virus free) as of 2/12/16.
II. Preliminary 2 - Create a new user profile:
Note: As noted above, you need at least 3 user profiles so if you only have one existing user profile (presumably, what will be the originatinguserprofile), you will need to, create 2 new user accounts using the procedures outlined in this section–one to use as the receivinguserprofile, and one to use as the workinguserprofile.
1. Control Panel > User Accounts > Manage Another Account > Create New Account
2. Enter the new user profile name, select the user account type and the user picture–this will be our receivinguserprofile.
Note: This process of copy/duplicating has been done only from Admin level user profile to Admin level user profile and while it should work from Standard level to Standard level, that has not been tested..
3. Reboot and log in to the new user account to initialize it
III. Copy/Duplicate Existing User Profile:
Note: As noted above, for the copy/duplicate process to work you must have at least 3 user accounts. You must be logged in to the workinguserprofile to perform the copy/duplicate process. In other words, you cannot be logged in to the user profile from which (originatinguserprofile) you wish to copy/duplicate or the user profile to which (receivinguserprofile) you are copying/duplicating.
1. If you are not logged in to your workinguserprofile, reboot and login to it
Note: The following link might be useful as it has screen shots of the Windows Enabler application:
See below for the link to the PDF of the process outlined above.
Last edited by terrie; 02-12-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: update/re-edit NOTE: original link to "Windows Enabler" app has been changed because original link is no longer valid
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|How do you like your copy?||Jonathan Gledson||General Publishing Topics||9||02-14-2012 06:47 AM|
|User Profile||dthomsen8||How to Use the Forum||11||09-21-2006 06:16 AM|
|Avatars and profile photos||LHaggarty||The Corner Pub||10||03-05-2005 09:19 AM|