DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Software

Old 08-05-2019, 04:13 PM   #11
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
I'm wondering now if I should take a look at SyncBack for my sister's system rather than doing it manually as we do now as her data is more involved...

Terrie
An advantage of using something like SyncBack is that you can pretty much set it and forget it, and it will just do its thing so you don't have to be on top of it.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
terrie
Staff

Quote:
Kayza: is that you can pretty much set it and forget it
Yeah...that would be helpful, although since I set my sister's system up--an HP ProBook laptop--so that she puts ALL her data within a master data folder (numerous subfolders) and not where Microsoft/other software thinks it should be, it makes the the backup procedure quite straightforward.

She just copies the data-master folder to the external drive. She mod's the master name by adding the backup date to it and deletes an earlier backup--she keeps at least 1 earlier backup so there are 2 data backups at any one time.

I setup Thunderbird to put all her mail into a user defined master folder (vs. the default location in Users). She copies that master email folder to the external drive (again, mod'ing the email-master folder name by adding the current date), deletes an earlier email backup so that she has at least 2 backups.

She does this weekly...takes 20-30 minutes to do both copies. While on one level she is copying stuff that hasn't been changed on the other hand, she has everything (data and emails) each in its own pile--so to speak...

The above stated, I'm going to take a closer look at SyncBack...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 06:25 AM   #13
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

I do something similar here; putting my stuff where *I* want it, not where MS has decreed it shall go. Recently I found that you can tell MS that it wants you to put stuff where you want to put it. Ie, you can make it think your Documents folder is the folder where you want stuff. Now your stuff's where you want it, and when you create something new and save, it tends to home on your Documents folder. Which is now where you want it to be.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2019, 12:15 PM   #14
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: Ie, you can make it think your Documents folder is the folder where you want stuff.
Yeah...but...I've never trusted Microsoft/Windows not to muck that up. Additionally (and probably farfetchedly), if you tell Windows (and Microsoft via their telemetry) where your data is, then anyone can find it since you've changed the default--my gut belief is that ransomware/malware writers are lazy so they write their code making assumptions that people put their data in My Documents (eww! ugh! barfing for days...'-}})...

That said, I do set my sister's Office (ewww! again) settings so that it looks in her user defined data location...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-07-2019, 03:45 PM   #15
Kayza

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
my gut belief is that ransomware/malware writers are lazy so they write their code making assumptions that people put their data in My Documents (eww! ugh! barfing for days...'-}})...
You're right - they tend to be lazy. On the other hand, encrypting data is not the only way to mess you over, especially if you're looking at database and the like.

So they do something simpler. They either just look for files types wherever or they just start encrypting whatever they can find.

If they stuck to "my documents" they would not be anywhere near as effective.
Kayza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 06:17 AM   #16
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

>> Yeah...but...I've never trusted Microsoft/Windows not to muck that up.

And they do, mildly. My main "stuff" directory is C:\SR, so I nominated that as my "Documents" folder. Now in some (but not all) Win Explorer/Save/Open dialogs, C:\SR just isn't there. Gotta go to Documents. Idiots.

>> Additionally (and probably farfetchedly), if you tell Windows (and Microsoft via their telemetry) where your data is, then anyone can find it since you've changed the default--

Well, anyone at MS who has access to the data, assuming that MS is lying about it being anonymized.

Moving the user directory might actually make it a bit MORE difficult for malware to find it. Normally, all you need to do is query the environment variable:

%userprofile%\My Documents

For example, go to a command prompt and type

CD %userprofile%\My Documents

Boom. On the machine where I've changed the docs folder, this results in:

The system cannot find the path specified.

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2019, 01:08 PM   #17
terrie
Staff

Quote:
kayza: So they do something simpler.
Yes...I'm sure they do--stupid ain't the same as lazy and they aren't stupid...'-}}

Terrie
Old 08-08-2019, 01:11 PM   #18
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: C:\SR just isn't there.
That! (along with other things) is exactly the sort of crap I expected. The thing is that in the very sadly missed TweakUI, you could set the system defaults to whatever you wanted and it worked perfectly...

>> assuming that MS is lying about it being anonymized.

I do so assume...'-}}

>>The system cannot find the path specified.

That is simultaneously slick and appalling--I'm sure you know why it's appalling...'-}}

Terrie