DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Hardware & Gadgets

Old 06-15-2020, 08:28 PM   #1
Andrew B.
Staff

Default My Smartphone

Some of you know I got a smart phone. I thought I'd practice and get used to it. I have not. The person who had the phone number before me was part of a chat group and I get slews of messages. I can block phone numbers but so far I have not manged to block all of them.

But on the good side, I have used some apps. Not often but I used Google Duo to conference call with one of my doctors. And then there are it's networking abilities.

Today I lost my landline, and with it my Internet connection. The repair person will not be here until Friday. But because I have this smart phone here, it can give my computer access to the Internet. I go into the smart phone connection settings and turn it on as a mobile hotspot. Then on my computer, it shows up on my WiFi list of possible connections. So here I am.

Anyway it's not what I would call fast, but it will be a good temporary lifeline. I just have to watch my data usage.

Old 06-15-2020, 11:32 PM   #2
Bo Aakerstrom

That's how I get online all the time. We don't even have a landline/broadband.

I'm on a 4G connection and it works just fine even for streaming media except if there's bad weather when it can be a bit slow.

Old 06-16-2020, 01:30 PM   #3
terrie
Staff

Andrew...

Bummer that your broadband is out. I'm sorry that you have to wait until Friday for repair but happy that your smartphone is coming in handy...

Terrie
terrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #4
terrie
Staff

Did you get your broadband back yet? Fingers crossed you did...'-}}

Terrie
Old 06-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
Andrew B.
Staff

I got it back. But only because I made a big fuss when they said they were going to mail me a new modem, which is what their remote test showed the problem was. They wanted me to swap it out and drop the old one off at a phone company location. I told them I'm too disabled to do that. So they sent out a technician, and it turned out it was not the modem. He had to replace a card at one of the boxes down the street.

Old 06-19-2020, 12:58 PM   #6
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: He had to replace a card at one of the boxes down the street.
You are very lucky on a number of levels, the primary being from what I have read getting someone to check the card/box often takes MONTHS of back and forth with broadband providers because it's the last thing that's checked...

Glad you were able to get it fixed and at least now you know you have a (semi) workable backup option...

By the way...I keep forgetting to ask you if Eudora is now working ok for you?

Terrie
Old 06-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #7
Andrew B.
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrie View Post
By the way...I keep forgetting to ask you if Eudora is now working ok for you?
Terrie
It's pulling mail much better. I rarely have a secure connection fail. But for some reason it developed a habit of opening mailbox windows not-maximized. Very annoying. And I get that phantom window every time now. I don't know if you have seen this, but it's a window that is minimized in an odd way and that has an unusual label on it.

BTW, the Eudora email group has a lot of activity. There are power users there. They are patient. And, of course, they know about Hermes.

Old 06-20-2020, 12:33 PM   #8
terrie
Staff

Quote:
andrew: It's pulling mail much better.
I've found it much faster also...

>>but it's a window that is minimized in an odd way and that has an unusual label on it.

No...I've never seen that. Every now and again, when I open Eudora, instead of my InBox being displayed in the right-hand panel, it displays nothing in the right-hand panel or, it display weird looking code. I've never been able to figure out what causes it but it's easy enough to fix by double-clicking on the InBox text name in the left panel...

I still have not gotten around to joining the email group. I did post my PDF write-up in the Source Forge Hermes forum...

Terrie
Old 06-21-2020, 09:05 AM   #9
Steve Rindsberg
Staff

Hey, not to turn this thread into a monster or anything, but did we ever discuss Pegasus? I don't remember exactly why I gave up on Eudora and moved to it, but it was a good move, and an easy one.

The only gripe I ever had with Peg was that the author (who still supports it, btw) insisted on keeping attachments in the mailbox files rather than in a separate, user-designated folder the way Eudora did (and that I VASTLY preferred, if only because it kept the main mail folders from becoming VAST, and was VASTLY easier to clean out at need).

If I hadn't been forced (kicking, screaming, cursing) to Outlook for various business-related reasons, I'd still be using Pegasus for mail and Ecco for calendar/notes/contacts. And probably walking uphill to and from school, both ways, barefoot through the snow.

AND LIKING IT!!

www.pptools.com
and stuff
Steve Rindsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 01:10 PM   #10
terrie
Staff

Quote:
steve: but did we ever discuss Pegasus?
Yes...a number of times I think but I can't remember the specifics...I can't think of any reason that I would ever use Outlook...errgghhh...'-}}

>>AND LIKING IT!!

LOL!!!

Terrie