DTP

Lively discussions on the graphic arts and publishing — in print or on the web

Go Back   Desktop Publishing Forum > General Discussions > Web Site Building & Maintenance

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-11-2007, 03:33 AM   #1
jwoolf09

Default Turn off browser menu?

I have a client with a need for a very specialized sort of browser window. I'm working on this display for them, intended to run on a stand-alone machine with no active network connection - certainly no active Internet connection. It will be accessible to the public, including kids. They'd like to make the display as secure as possible against troublesome kids trying to fiddle with it. They also want to maximize useful screen area. Put the two together, and the result is a requirement to turn off as many of the browser-window menus and controls as possible.

I've experimented a bit with both Firefox and MSIE. I've discovered that while I can turn off several of the control areas, I can't figure out how to turn off the main menu bar, with "File," "Edit," etc. I can't turn off the upper-right-corner window controls either, but I figure that's a Windows thing and there's nothing I can do about it. So I'm wondering: is it possible within either MSIE or Firefox to remove the main menu bar in such a way that a keyboard shortcut will bring the menu back? If not, is there a specialty browser anywhere that does include such an ability?

-- Jon W.
jwoolf09 is offline   Reply With Quote